Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dual point distrib. setup on my 66 chevelle with a blown 402 bbc in it. I need to find out which wire is the hot wire from the ignition switch so I can wire it for the distrib.?? Any help or getting a hold of the wiring diagram would be great. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
You will need to find the resistor wire in your harness. This will be the only one with cloth insulation. This gets hooked to the + side of the coil and wire (should be only 1) from the distributor goes to the - side of the coil. It it pretty much the same as the original single point system.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. You are correct, one wire from the distrib. goes to the (-) of the coil. On the (+) of the coil is a high guage wire that goes to the ballast resistor. Would that "cloth" wire go to the other side of the ballast or just to the (+) of the coil also? The coil is a MSD Blaster 2 coil.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
Normally, the resistor wire is all you need, it takes the place of a ballast resistor which the chevelle didnt have. Unless someone replaced the resistor wire with a piece of regular wire, which will show 12v with the key on and in the start position, you dont need a ballast resistor. The cloth covered resistor wire will show around 9v with the key on, if you find this wire then run it directly to the + side of the coil and forget the ballast resistor. If you only find a wire with 12v showing, then keep your ballast resistor and run the 12v line to one side of it, and the other to the + side of the coil.

------------------
Dave (NY)
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts