Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I hooked up my starter wrong, but purple wire is on S on the inside of the solenoid as I've read here. The yellow R wire is actually disabled at the harness. I did that when the MSD was installed. I ASSUMED prior owner did a hot 12 to the old HEI. But now I'm thinking its just the regualr ingition line. Is this line dead when the starter ingition is energized.? Is it possible that I have no ignition + when the key is on "start"?

The engine cathes just fine AFTER you take the key off "start" to "run".

I'm thinbking I better get that yellow starter ignition wire plugged back into the harness witht he regular ingition wire. Yes?

THNX!

------------------
Gene
ACES / CanAm Chevelles
67 SS 427

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
It can happen Gene. I had a Chev that I messed with for hours before I figured that out. I was setting the initial timing by rotating the distributor at TDC and waiting for spark. Good spark in ON but none in Start.

Either reconnect the yellow wire or find a different power source or try a new ignition switch.

Peter

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Peter is on to something. Check that the HEI is getting power in both the start and run positions on the switch. Perhaps it is not.
It should have power if you flip the switch to on and take a measurement.

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes, there is power in the run position, i have to take a vom to the ign + when the key is turned to the start position.

my q is simple, are both ignition hots on in the start position? if they are, theres something else wrong here.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If someone installed an HEI, they should have either changed out the resistor wire that went to coil (+) or run a new lead to fuse block IGN terminal.
The fuse block has an ACC terminal that is not hot in the START position. Perhaps someone hooked up to this instead of the IGN terminal.
Both the original wire that went to coil (+) and the purple start wire should be hot in the START position.

·
Premium Member
15,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I couldnt tell whether the IGN FUSED at the fuse box was hot when you hit the key. It was jsut too hard to hold it all together and turn the key.

I spliced the "start hot" wire off the starter ( which is yellow in my case) to the other hot ignition wire and now the car starts right up.

Hope that new UD cam is durable enough to handle a bit of cranking on startup ( and #1 valaves which were waaay loose!).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts