Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 chevelle with the original 307 engine. When I bought the car it was running good. The car sat idle for over 2 years because I had to do some major sheet metal work (quarter panel, trunk floor, rear panel…). After I finally got the car back together, it would not start. The engine turns over, but no fire seems to be getting to the plugs. I’ve already changed the coil and I plan on changing the contact points. Instead of changing one part at a time, could someone please give ideas of were I should be looking?

P.S.: Could someone give me a brief lesson on setting contact points?

Thanks
Superde69

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
First thing I would take a look at is voltage to the coil. With the large coil wire removed (for safety) measure between the + coil and the engine (ground). You should see 12 volts to ground while someone is cranking the engine. A quick description on how to set points from a textbook (Haynes Chevelle book #625 about $15 at Pep Boys, hint-hint). "With the rubbing block on the cam high point (points fully open) place a blade-type feeler gauge between the contacts. The gap should be 0.019 in. If not correct, use an Allen wrench to turn the points set socket which will open and close the gap".

1 - 2 of 2 Posts