Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience/opinions about some of the aftermarket ignition systems such as MSD, Davis Unified Ignition (D.U.I.) or others? Ease of installation and performance/reliability enhancements are the main factors I am interested in. All input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
If your present ignition has no obvious problems, you probably will not see any performance change with a different system.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi FINN . like Wagner said if it aint broke dont fix it. Now on the other hand if you want to upgrade from points i would go for a PERTRONICS IGNITOR OR IGNITOR 2 . THEY ARE EASY TO INSTALL AND WORK VERY WELL. I believe they also make a ready to run distributor if you want to go that route but its not nesessary. I wrote on this a couple of months ago chek my posts for a street car i would not spend that money again and i have a complete MSD SYSTEM IN MY CAR.:D:noway:ALEX

·
Premium Member
5,655 Posts
Pertronix Ignitor III w/their Flamethrower III 45,000V Coil.

You cant go wrong with the Pertronix III. You get multi spark ignition without a ugly box hanging on you firewall. It also uses the stock distributor to retain the originality look of a stock distributor.

You also couldn't ask for a simpler installation. No magnet wheels, just a module that fits in the place of your points that senses off the cam lobes of your distributor.

I even realized a 3mpg gain on my car. At the price of gas, it wont take it very long to pay for its self. Faster starts, better idle, for the money you can go wrong. I did opt for the E type coil, It their 60000 volt high current coil.

Its basically a high performance HEI without an ugly box or distributor.

Rocky

·
Registered
11,700 Posts
I have done several Pertronix conversions and they work very well. On the other hand, an HEI is very reliable, and my friend has a DUI in his car. It is shifted at 7000, and runs really well. He has gone 11.50's at 115 with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts