Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am having trouble with my ignition system i have a 1969 SS396 el Co. i just got it 2 weeks ago and it running great but there is one problem it does not turn over. i drove it home so i know it is not the battery or the starter. the person i bought it from started it for me upon purchase, he had a long wire that had a roach clip on each end and cliped one end to the battery and the other to the coil then he took another wire wich is located behind the coil and tapped the coil some how and the engine turned over. he said he did this because it was something wrong with wiring in the steering colom but he was not sure. i was wondering if someone could help me out, my el Co. is all stock regular ignition set up no after market(MSD,Comp cam, etc.)

[This message has been edited by pedro saucedo (edited 11-08-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Did you get to keep the roach clip…just kidding.
Is this a 4-speed or automatic?
It sounds like there is no power to the purple wire on the starter "S" terminal. From what I think you were describing, I'm guessing the guy tied into this wire behind the engine. Sounds like he jumped to coil (+) for some reason. Don't see why off-hand.
Anyway, First pull the large wire out of the coil for safety so the car doesn't fire with you under it.
Measure The coil (+) lead to ground as someone turns the key to START. You should have 12 volts to ground. Use a meter or test light. If not,
Try measuring between the starter solenoid "S" terminal (purple wire) and ground, as someone turns the key to START. You should have 12 volts. If not.
Check the neutral start switch (automatic car). It's under the dash on top of the column. Sort of horseshoe shaped. Measure both purple wires to ground (one at a time) as someone turns the key to START. You should have 12 volts.
Post back with the results.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts