Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am changing out a steering column in a 1970 to a 72 tilt column. I am trying to use the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch from the 70. When I rotate the key the rod in the 72 column goes in the opposite direction than the 70. Did they make different ignition switchs from 70 -72?

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Generally, the ignition switch is installed in a reversed position on a tilt column.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is only one way that the ignition switch will mount to the column. I tried it won't fit any other way.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
The standard column (non-adjustable) has a different ignition switch than the tilt column. They operate in opposite directions. The standard column switch is GM #1990115. The tilt (or T&T) column switch is GM #1990116. The lock cylinder is the same regardless of type of steering column.

·
Administrator
16,160 Posts
Steve you will also have to rotate the harness plug 180 degrees to fit it into the new switch, but it will fit.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks to everyone for the great info. I was able to buy a new switch from autozone for $8. It operates correctly and as 64elcamino said you have to rotate the connectors.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts