Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new ignition switch for my 70 chevelle and I can not figure out how to remove the old one and put the new one in. Has anyone done this that could give me some tips? I do have the key for the original switch that I am replacing. I also need to replace the turn signal cancel cam. Is this located right underneath the steering wheel? I looked at a parts breakdown and it appeared to be pretty far down the column. I would of thought it would be right by the turn signal lever. Any suggestions on this?

Thanks alot

------------------
Rat
70 400 malibu

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
This is not hard to do but it is a little involved. I'll probably miss a couple of small steps along the way. However, this sounds like your first attempt. I highly recommend that you do a couple of things before you try it. 1, Pick up a new ignition switch before you start. This will give you an idea where the cylinder release is located. You can't see it from inside the column. 2, Don't just rely on the exploded view diagram. Spend some bucks and pick up the Haynes manual. It has some disassembly instructions and pictures. It will also save me or someone else from typing the basic steps out. The book has them. 3, Go down to your local pick-a-part, find any mid-70's car, (Nova, Camaro) and attempt it on a junker. This way you will have a good idea how it comes apart. Otherwise you risk breaking something going at this blind.
Things you will need.
Steering wheel puller
#1 and #2 Phillips screwdrivers
Couple of small straight slot screwdrivers
True arc pliers
3/4 or 7/8 socket (can't remember which)
Couple of ideas to take things apart. When you do your car, remove the negative cable from the battery. Pulling the steering wheel is pretty straight forward. Below the wheel is the steering wheel locking ring. The PITA part is removing the retaining clip holding the steering wheel lock ring in place. Pushing down on it, spreading it with the true arc pliers and catching it underneath with a small screwdriver normally works.
There are other little details but highly recommend that you get a book and practice on one car. Have a fairly good idea on how to re-install the retaining ring when you get that far. Post back or email.

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
In addition to Johns instructions you can rent/buy a special tool to push down the lock plate that makes it alot easier to remove the snap ring. I bought the tool after trying to do it without one and it was worth the cost of the tool. Also I like the Haynes manuals they are very easy to understand and are based on a complete tear down and rebuild. Well good luck with the job. Nate

1 - 3 of 3 Posts