Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, after doing a little cruising, I decided I better garage my '71 SS before it rained, so headed for home. Once in the garage, I shut the car off but the key mechanism wouldn't turn all the way back and the key wouldn't come out! It would turn back past the acc. point to within about a quarter of an inch, but no luck! I let it sit for awhile, then came back and it still won't turn all the way back and now, the car won't start either!! It goes all the way to cranking position but does nothing!! Anyone have suggestions?? Is there an easy way to access the ignition switch area without tearing the whole column apart? How can I pull out the Ignition Switch?? Thanks for any help, I really need it!!

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS
ACES #2780

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Bill, You might have a ignition switch problem,but first try this. Reach down to a spot below the ignition switch, just before the column goes under the dash and give it a twist counter-clockwise and then see if you can turn the switch to the lock position and check to see if it will start. If it will work, the problem is a little plastic bushing where the link from the trans hooks up to the underhood lever that moves the linkage so that the steering column will lock and moves the neutral switch if it is still on the column. Hope this helps. Keep us posted.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Leo...you stud!! You saved the day!!! I feel like an Idiot however. Yes, it was the column; even tho the car has a console shifter, some jerk put in a later model steering column so he could have tilt. When I first got the car, both the console and the column shifters were hooked up so they both worked...never can figure that one out. I removed all the linkage from the column and only use the console, but you were right, the column had gotten twisted like it was in gear and wouldn't start or let go of the key...pretty effective. Thanks again, You guys are the greatest!!!

Bill C.

------------------
Bill C.
'71 SS
ACES #2780

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.