Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed a tilt columnfrom a '72 Cutlass into my '71 Chevelle today. I had to swap over my old park neutral/reverse switch because the connections were different, and it works ok. I swapped the ignition switch because the connections were different and the key now works backwards! It is off in the start position and you have to turn it backwards to start the car. Of course the wheel and shifter won't lock and I just discovered that it will start without the key! What did I do wrong? I see that the parts places sell 2 different switches for tilt or non, do I need to use the switch that came with the tilt column? If so, what do I do about the fact that the connectors are different? Do I need a different switch altogether? Any and all advice appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Dave

You need the tilt column switch. Basically the switch is the same for both, the metal mounting bracket is different. The tilt column switch gets mounted 180 deg compared to the non tilt column. The same wire connectors are used just need to twist them 180 deg.

·
Premium Member
4,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ahhh! I'll try that tomorrow and post back. Thank you!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts