Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed out my steering collumn to a tilt, on my `70 Chevelle.Checking things out before instalition, I noticed the plug-in to the ignition switch,was different, so I figured I would just change swithces and be done.Well that wont work, the rod that activates the switch on the old collum pushes the switch, and the rod on the new colum pulls the switch.The plugins are mirror images of each other, so I thought I could just turn my plugin around, but that doesnt line up correctly. Has any done this? and know the solution? I went to the parts store and they have both switches, but I need one with the wire terminals to match my harness, but with the spring in the switch on the other end.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
Stan,

Unless someone else chimes in, I'll have to look that up and get back to you. You might be "forced" to buy related electrical equipment to the tilt column, not sure.

·
Registered
518 Posts
You could scrounge up the correct connector for a tilt column and replace your current non-tilt connector .....

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have solved my problem, after talking to two different auto electric shops, and having them tell me I would have to install a toggle switch to start my car,(not). I took another look at the two switches,installing the original one and drawing a diagram of the wire locations,I found if I reversed the two plugnins and turned them upside-down they will infact plug in to the switch! Altho the one on the tilt collumn isnt marked, the spades line up perfectly, I guess I`ll install the battery, plug it in and see what I get. thanks for the intrest, and if you guys find anything on this please post it, I will be checking back in, this is a work in slow progress,so it might be a couple weeks before I know for sure, Thanks...

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Importtech:
Stan,

You might want to take a look at a wiring
diagram..If the connector works but the wiring is wrong just relocate the wires in the connector to the correct termination.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's excellent advice, just cause it "fits", doesn't mean the correct circuits are going to match-up. Sorry, I still haven't had a chance to look some info up on the "differences" of tilt, non-tilt harness connections.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
A search might have turned up an answer and if I remember correctly, turning the connector over makes it install in the tilt switch.

------------------
Leo Paugh
Maryland Chevelle Club #017
A.C.E.S.#3731
progress has little to do with speed, but lots to do with direction.
Maryland Chevelle Club

1 - 8 of 8 Posts