Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondiering if I'm missing something here. The switch doesnt sit in the dash very square. The cover plate, that goes over the switch itself is binding on the top. When you snug up the large bezel nut, it causes the cvoer plate to bind a bit, which in turn causes the key to stick in start. I've dressed down the top of the cover plate with some success, but again, sicne this car was cobbled together by prior owner, I'm wondering whether something missing.

------------------
Gene
Gold Member 62/ACES 3112
67 SS 427

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Mine does the same thing, if I tighten the retainer all the way it sticks. I have just been leaving it loose. I kept tightening until it started sticking then backed it off a bit.

If my problem is like yours, I think its just time for a new switch and/or retaining nut.

I think they get screwed up because people over the years attempt to remove and install without the proper tool for the nut (my .02)

Rob

·
Premium Member
15,828 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the car over at a friends for a tranny swap. He, being a good guy and pro mechanic, went through the car ( free!), "just catching a few detail here and there to make sure your trip to Nashville is uneventful". And he tightened it up.

That was my fix too Rob. Dusted off the top of the plate with a grinder and left it slightly loose.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts