Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ignition switch in my 70 Monte Carlo just broke today. It made a weird click and then would not let the key engage the starter. The key turned far enough but never got to the part where you get some resistance from the spring. It's like it jumped a gear inside the column. Then I could not get it to turn back far enough to remove the key so I had to force it back. Now I can turn it without the key in it but it still wont engage the starter.

How do I remove the switch to replace it or bypass it until I can replace the column with a tilt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This response is not specific to your car but is right for most cars. Remove the collar from the column. Depending on your car the key/locking mechanism is either bolted on or held in by the collar(but removal is simple either way). All you have to do to bypass the key is slide the locking mechanism off of the actual ignition. A hex shaped bolt usually turns the ignition just use a screw driver to turn it instead. Just be ready to explain if you get pulled over by the cops

I've never seen the mechanism for your specific car so sorry if my info is slightly wrong. Hope I didn't just state the obvious for you.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I meant to mention the switch and key mechanism should be connected by 2 or 3 screws. But overall is should be VERY simple to seperate. (thats why it's so easy to steal your car) However given the symptoms you described the problem is probably in the switch itself not the key mechanism. Since you can still turn the key all the way the car should still start if the switch is okay. But the screwdriver thing will tell you if the problem is in the switch. From past experience don't try to fix a broken ignition switch, my last attempt burnt my motorcycle down to the ground. But maybe that was just my dumb butt

·
Gold Founding Member
63,816 Posts
If you pull the steering wheel, lock plate and turn signal switch, you will probably find that the nylon gear on the back of the ignition cylinder lock has broken

You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate puller which you can borrow from some auto parts houses

Before you do all that, you might want to drop the column down a little and see if you can operate the switch by pushing/pulling on the "push/pull" wire rod linkage to the actual switch on top of the lower part of the column

One thing to be carefull of is not to break the fine cable (or plastic pieces) that goes to the "P R N D L" indicator.
Be sure and disconnect the cable from the column collar before dropping the column down (BTDT)
and don't forget to disconnect the battery first

Good luck

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69

ACES/Midwest Chevelle Regionals

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys for the help. I'm going to get into it today. The switch will turn to the run position so I might wire in a push button to the starter to buy some time. I want to swap to buckets and a floor shift so I'll need to replace the column shift. Just didn't want to have to do it so soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.