Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why my wire that goes from the ignition to energize the starter solenoid would only be supplying between 7 and 8 volts? Shouldn't it have the full 12? With this wonderful 100+ heat we are having in OK, I've been having intermittent problems getting my car to crank. I thought the solenoid was bad so I replaced it this evening. No dice. So I put a meter on the S post and it shows nearly 8 volts when I have the ignition in cranking position. This solenoid doesn't even respond to juice that low. Could my ignition be bad and not let the current voltage through?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dean, I checked that this morning.....kinda. I don't have a neutral safety switch - just a jumper wire for now. So I tested it on both sides of that wire. It was fine coming. The previous owners had spliced the purple wire up on the firewall with some ugly 14 gauge wire. Since it was too low voltage at the starter, I ran a new 12 gauge wire from the supply side of the neutral safety switch plug all the way to the starter. When I test it with the wire connected to the solenoid, the voltage is still too low and won't energize. If I disconnect it from the solenoid it tests nearly 12. I replaced the solenoid this morning just in case. If I hit it with a hot wire from the battery it works fine. Does this sound like a grounding issue? Any other ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Where is your negative battery cable grounded to?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Sound like the key switch contact is worn out. If it's not the NSS switch it's acting like a bad connection, that is a poor switch contact. Voltage goes up when you remove it from the load..the solenoid. Typically means the switch is dying.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jerry, my negative cable is grounded to the top alternator bracket. Then I've got a ground wire running from the alternator ground to the frame. John, I did pull the ignition switch out and test it, but it was fine. I restarted my testing process and found the problem. My original solenoid was going bad from heat. I bought a new one yesterday morning and a heat shield. The new one was only working intermittenly!!! :mad: I had an old one laying around that I finally put on after messing with the new one for several hours. After finding the new solenoid was bad I was much hotter than our heat index...... :mad:

Thanks for the help guys.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts