Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled out my old horrible HEI, and got an MSD Blaster 2 and a friends Mallory Dual Point that I had rebuilt. So what wires do I hook up, and where do they come from and go to? I also bought a resistor if that helps.

·
Registered
262 Posts
OK, I'll bite.
you should have a wire sticking out of the distributer, this goes to the negative side of the coil,
the positive side of the coil is connected to the ignition switch. CAUTION this is the wire that should have resistance! If your HEI was properly installed then you will need to install the resistor in this line. Check the voltage between this wire and ground with the ignition switch on, it should not be 12 volts. 9 volts is what you want. (your car came from the factory with a resistor wire going to the ignition switch, if this wire is still installed then you dont need a separate resistor)
If you have a tach then it gets connected to the negative side of the coil.
Are your sure you want to trash your HEI and install an old dual point? The HEI is a better unit and is much more reliable. Personally I'd get the HEI working rather then trash it. (If the HEI is connected to the resistor wire as mentioned above, you will have problems.)

just my 2 pennys

Clark

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.