Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
On my '72 Elky you remove the horn button, use a steering wheel puller to pull the wheel, use a lock plate puller to remove the ignition lock plate, remove turn signal switch & lever and fold out of the way. You will then be able to gain access to the ignition cylinder. All removal tools were purchased at Advance/ Auto Zone. Hope this helps you some.
Matt.
'72 Elky 454 TH350

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Also if it hasn't been changed before you need to punch through the pot metal to release the switch keeper tab. The thing that holds the switch in the column.
I usually have the new switch in my hand to eyeball the length from the end of the switch to the keeper. Gives me an idea where to punch.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
If you go to www.corvettefaq.com/A-Car.asp you can download either the standard (non-adjustable) or the tilt steering column Paper #1 that describes the lock cylinder replacement procedure completely.

Look for:
Std Strg Column 69-72 Disassembly & Repair Paper #1 - Rev 15JA03 Replace lock cylinder & buzzer
and
Std Strg Column 69-72 Disassemly & Repair Pic #1
and
Std Strg Column 69-76 Blowup Pic
and
Std Strg Column 69-72 Column Parts & Mounting Pics

or if you have a tilt column download the papers further down the list.

BTW, these papers may be more up to date than any papers that may be posted at the Chevelle Tech websight. I have been unable to find anyone who is keeping that technical area updated. All info at the Chevelle Tech sight is now at least one year old.

·
Registered
11,941 Posts
Jim, I think the TC tech person turned over the reins awhile back and I don't think anyone has picked them up. If you are interested, maybe you should contact Al. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I sent an eMail through the websight. So far, no response. I think that I will keep using the corvettefaq.com websight as my primary. Terry Rudy has been very helpful in creating and hosting the GM A-car section for my steering papers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts