Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Friend gave me a Mallory promaster coil w/resistor and a unilite distributer. I want to put it in my 69 Elk. I had Installed an HEI and at that time I had to remove the resister wire and retain a small yellow wire from the starter and ran a 12v from the fuse box.
I tried just plugging in the 12v and yellow to the resister and got no spark at the plugs and only sometimes spark at the coil wire.
Do I need to put the resister wire and yellow to the + side of the coil and the 12v from the fuse box to the ballist resister or not or what? Some where along the trial and error process I fried the battery to fender ground wire.I hate electrical stuff.
Harley

·
Registered
100 Posts
Something is weird.

The normal wiring for the Mallory setup is: 12 volts from ignition switch "IGN" terminal (fuse block not a real good idea) to one side of the ballast resistor. Wire from other side of resistor goes to distributor. Bypass wire from solenoid (brown, I think) goes to distributor side of resistor. You do not want to run a resistor wire to this unit. I have seen the resistors go bad, or there could be a problem inside the distributor. My Unilite Comp 9000 recently died after 12 years and over 150,000 miles of flawless, maintenance free operation.

Good luck.

------------------

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.