Team Chevelle banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
If your looking to get rid of the points in your stock distributor, Look at the Crane XR-1 points to igintion kit. Very simple to install. I have no mechanical experience and just installed one on my 64 SS stock distributor on about 2 hrs. For anyone with mechanical abilities it should take alot less time. Only $64 at summit, that is where I got mine.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
If I recall right Tom (DZAUTO) has used them. May want to email him. I'm still a points guy 'cause I have enough of them to last a lifetime.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I wouldn't do it unless I would be prepared to carry a spare unit. If it breaks just outside of Nowhere on New Years Day; whatcha gonna do?

You could replace the distributor with a stock HEI or just leave the points in. Points work fine and are simple and cheap to replace. HEI parts and/or points are available on New Years Day in downtown Nowhere a.k.a. Bakersfield, CA {as are stock MOPAR alternators (happened to me)}

My $0.02 :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have used the Mallory conversion unit for years. Just a bit of warning on what ever unit you use. BUY A SPARE MODULE, and keep it in the glove box. If it goes out, and it will, you won't be stranded.

Now... the number one reason they go out....electrical surge or a spike. DO NOT USE THIS VEHICLE TO EVER JUMP ANOTHER CAR. (You know, jumper cables). Not to jump another car, or to have yours jumped off. Do not ever hook up a battery charger without first either disconecting the battery and or the plug to the module.

I know that Malloy makes a spike gadget to help prevent spikes / surges. I've been meaning to buy and install one. But I have been careful and have only blown one unit so far.

Other then that...they work GREAT!

tas

1 - 5 of 5 Posts