Team Chevelle banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SO how does this ignition cylinder come out? My Hayne's manual mentions something about breaking away some "flash". Is that the area just above the area I outlined in White? Also, concerning the area I outlined.....Looks like a connector with two copper conductors that are hanging out and were bent over. What would that have bbeen for?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Yepp, that looks about right. I did mine about 4 years ago(72 El Camino). Didn't seem too hard.
Here is one guy [Captain F-Bomb] showing you on good ol' YouTube:

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yepp, that looks about right. I did mine about 4 years ago(72 El Camino). Didn't seem too hard.
Here is one guy [Captain F-Bomb] showing you on good ol' YouTube:
OK, So I don't have to knock that whole area out, just slide a flathead in that slot. I will give it a try. Interesting too, he doesn't have that connector, but there is a hole for it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used a metal collar stay, but it’s actually the little space above where you circled, next to the screw hole

·
Registered
92 Posts
It will take a mighty thin flathead
The clip you have to push down sometimes kinda teeter totters so push down on the middle of it.
That is what I remember. I looked at my new one and saw the release on the bottom and the flatblade should do the trick!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got it! I used one of those really small shirt pocket size flatheads. Another trick was to put the ignition in the accessory position. That lined up that tab you need to push in on the cylinder.

I couldn't get it at first and then I took the new one and matched the angle to the one in the column and I could see that that tab was a little low while it was in the off postion. Turned it to accessory and then I knew it was lined up better with that slot.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The connector with two copper conductors is for the key in buzzer
My key buzzer had never worked. What sets off the buzzer? Does touching those two contacts together set off the buzzeR?

Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
When in doubt inspect your new part in your hand and become friends with it . I’ve heard about the casting flash tab breakout but I don’t think I’ve ever come across having to do that maybe once on a newer vehicle. Or maybe simple the cars I get have already been re keyed. Take your time think about the situation and don’t force any thing and yes you tube can be your friend but be weary of the information out there. My rule of thumb if I’m learning something new I look up 3 or 4 different resources and get a better overall picture of what information is available good luck and it’s really no big deal Itl be fine

·
Gold Founding Member
63,370 Posts
My key buzzer had never worked. What sets off the buzzer? Does touching those two contacts together set off the buzzeR?

Thanks.
The key "in" closes the set of contacts so when the driver's door is opened, the door switch sends a signal on the pink/black wire to the buzzer in the horn relay.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
It's very easy to remove the ignition as I found out with my brand new 1 week old 1985 Monte SS. Funny when I picked up the car 29 days later with bald tires and a blown tranny the cop asked me if I wanted the big rock that was in the car. I said dude, that's not mine they used that to smash the column to remove the ignition:mad:.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts