Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 70 Chevelle with a 307 and standard ignition (points, etc), and I would like to convert it to electronic ignition. Year One sells a conversion kit that keeps the original look (coil/cap, etc) but changes the internal configuration to electronic. Has anybody had any experience with this? And if so was it good/bad/indifferent? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I don't know what Year one is selling but I have heard of a system called pertronics.
I am going to install one in my 69' 307.
They retain the original look except for one extra wire going from the dist. to the coil.
The last time I posted this question this seemed to be the choice. Summit racing sells them. They are under $90.00. Try doing a search of old posts using "pertronics".

------------------

·
Registered
116 Posts
ive never used this set up but ive never heard any one in these tech areas to bad mouth them. im sure some one might have a bad story for you but just from what i read they seem to hold up.hope this sort of helps. POPS

·
Registered
321 Posts
riffers70,

This was one of the first things that I did to my 70 SS396. I got the Pertronix Ignitor. And yes, that is the model sold through Year One. I've loved this system since I've gotten it, as I haven't had to do a single thing to it in 4k miles now. Power is strong right up to 6k+ rpm. I have a friend who just put on into his Corvair and loves it as well.

The magnetic flywheel design is much better than other points replacement systems out there, namely optical/shutter systems, which can be effected by dirt/oil/etc.

Be advised though that Year One is very expensive for this part @ $80. You can get the same exact part from Summit Racing for $68, pn# PNX-1181 (most GM v8 '57-74). Other similar units by makers like MSD go for around $200, so the Pertronix unit gives you incredible bang for you buck.

[This message has been edited by michael j (edited 01-25-99).]

·
Registered
2,938 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your input, and I will be contacting Summit Racing this afternoon. Again, thanks for all the input!!

·
Registered
12,948 Posts
Riffers 70, Go to "Engine and Drivetrain" on this site. Go down 10 to Distributor Question by Bill Bebeau. Read my reply and the others before you spend any money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.