Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My MSD blaster 3 stopped working so im looking at gettting a hole new ignition box and coil, my old box is very old im guessing +15 years #6400, it still works but i would rather just change them both n be done with it. So im looking at digital 6 box but im not sure what coil i should run and how much of a difference it will make. The cars is street/strip so i dont want a track only coil, i was looking at these #8252, # 8253 or would another blaster 3 work just as well? thanks, brian

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
If your putting a new box and coil in look at the Crane Cams Fireball

Chris Straub, TC sponsor may have some

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If your putting a new box and coil in look at the Crane Cams Fireball

Chris Straub, TC sponsor may have some
Thanks, not to question ur choice but is there a reason you like these better? im open to other suggestions besides what i listed above, just tring to see if theres going to be a noticable difference between any of the coils, besides the price

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Thanks, not to question ur choice but is there a reason you like these better? im open to other suggestions besides what i listed above, just tring to see if theres going to be a noticable difference between any of the coils, besides the price
Without bashing i cant say other than the Crane has been on my car for 8 years now with no issues what so ever and the idle was cleaner over another brand

·
Gold Founding Member
10,972 Posts
I bought my original Blaster coil in '78 or '79...

But they don't make 'em like that anymore. Some of the MSD ignition coils are Chinese. I'd rather have a stock GM coil than a Chinese aftermarket coil.

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
No difference in any of them. The MSD 6A and blaster setup is fine for what you have. I just changed from a 6AL and Blaster 3, to a 7AL2 and Pro power coil and it went no faster.

·
Premium Member
8,139 Posts
X3 for Crane I run their dizzy too ...cleaner idle was what i noticed over the MSD pbly no faster but I had issues with my MSD box got tired of trying to get a knowledgable tech .. I have had MSD & Mallory and the crane is far easier to adjust, HArness comes with real nice connectors etcetc overall a better built product IMO and tech support way better than MSD .... even with S&S taking over the Crane electronics I got excellent support when I had some questions .......if you want a good cannister coil echlin makles a very good one .actually they make it for alot of the aftermarket .....

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Crane FireWires are also excellent

I have a Crane distributer too, nice unit but used in a street car and never did put it in the 327 (just collects dust)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies, im definatley going to check out cranes boxs/coils. ive heard alot of bad things with newer MSDs

1 - 12 of 12 Posts