Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I havent been able to start my Chevelle. I purchased a new ignition coil (external) and connected wires, but still no start. The car will turn over all day but it will not start. I've checked for fuel.... everthings fine. Then someone attempting to fix her left the keys turned forward in ignition and coil wires started burning.
I need diagrams on the ignition coil wires & insight into what could possibly be the problem.
Please help!

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The basic wiring diagram, for a 70 can be found in the Haynes Chevelle manual. Pep Boys carries these for around $15.00. Which wire burnt? One of the leads that went to coil (+)? The coil needs a voltage on that lead to start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying!
It took me a minute to find my post again... I checked my Haynes Book, Its not in there. The same guy that never came back after the wire caught fire said he couldn't find it either. Would you know of a diagram that maybe online? The wire leads to the driverside firewall.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
No diagrams on-line. The wire is shown on page 318 of the Haynes Chevelle repair manual. Haynes stock number is 625.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey John,
Ok, I checked my Haynes... and I see the diagram. Thanx! Now I have this problem.
On the diagram... I have [+] wire 20 w/or/ppl (this wire burned), I think I have [+] wire 20 y (what is the SOL its connected to?). And there's a 3rd wire connect to coil's [+], it shares the same metal connector as 20 w/or/ppl but its a yellow/off white wire that travels to the passenger side of the engine compartment and appears to connect at the rear of the engine pass. side.

Original problem was car would turn over constantly, but never start or attempt to start. I've put gas and engine start in carb... nothing.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You might be counting the same wire twice. There are 2 wires that go to coil (+). The multi-colored striped wire going to the bulkhead connector (your burnt wire) and the yellow wire that runs to the SOLenoid (starter) "R" terninal. The multi colored burnt wire is a resistor wire. It is not a normal copper wire. Car won't start with a burnt resistor wire.
Disconnect the 2 wires to coil(+) and tape them up. Run a jumper from battery (+) to coil (+). This is only a test wire. If everything else electrical is OK, the car should start. It won't turn off until you disconnect the jumper.
You need to replace the resistor wire by removing the bulkhead connector, removing the contact pin, and soldering a new wire to the pin. You might want to use a "normal" copper wire and buy a ballast resistor from the auto parts store. Mount the resistor on the firewall.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts