Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a great deal at a swap meet. I got a 70-72 console with shifter and cable for 5 (yes 5) bucks!! Everything is there and intact and the mounting bkts arent broken. It is very filthy though.

I am going to need to clean it up, but the question is should I use paint or vinyl dye?? I could use SEM vinyl prep and dye, but didnt know if I should use paint since the console is plastic.

What worked best for anyone that has done a console restore?? Thanks again.

Yes, I really can spell reSTored correctly!

[This message has been edited by 1Quik7D (edited 09-19-99).]

·
Premium Member
1,449 Posts
1quik7D -

Since the item you're painting is fairly rigid and wont be flexing much at all, you can get by with using paints. Many people are restoring plastic dash bezels, which seem to be made from the same type of plastic, and using regular enamels in spray cans seems to work fine. Bottom line - the flex agent in the SEM won't hurt, but you probably don't need it. Good luck!

------------------
Rainer Seitz
Vancouver, WA
Team Chevelle Gold #50

'68 SS396 (soon to be for sale!)
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
'70 Malibu convertible 350/300hp
[email protected]

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RT,

Are you referring to SEM Vinyl dye, or do they offer a paint? I have some SEM vinyl dye that I used for my dash pad and have thought about using that, but I want to make sure I dont fill in the grain. Light coats would do the trick.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Try Mar-Hide's Black satin, it comes in spray cans. we use it all the time.
I used it on my 72 dash, it looks factory.
Sem works very well too.Just make sure it's clean and dry. You may want to give it a light scuff with a red scotch pad, then wipe it down with a good final body wash.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JSL (edited 09-20-99).]

·
Registered
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interior is black and the new console is black...once you get past all the dirt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.