Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Ryan
1,641 Posts
I’d make it taller, straight runner, no plenum divider, two carbs.

On a serious note, it would be nice to somehow equalize fuel distribution from cylinder to cylinder.

But I don’t have a degree in fluid dynamics so I don’t know exactly how to improve that over the popular dual planes offered today.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’d make it taller, straight runner, no plenum divider, two carbs.

On a serious note, it would be nice to somehow equalize fuel distribution from cylinder to cylinder.

But I don’t have a degree in fluid dynamics so I don’t know exactly how to improve that over the popular dual planes offered today.
How about a dual plane that was designed for a 4/7 cam swap and that would most likely change the runners.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So make it a tunnel ram........
I think that's what the Offy low and medium rise dual quad intakes were, as I have one and it's just a lower T-ram with a divider built in.

·
Registered
12,958 Posts
Change overall shape of the runners, straighen a few out somehow
Larger plenum option similar to the Team Gs.
Sure the Vette and F body guys would love a low profile intake that really performs.
Cast "numbers match or "incorrect" into it to make em happy. :LOL:
Sheetmetal base same as an old mopar. Runners, coolant passages arent cast into the runner assy
Provisions for breathers or what have you front and rear. Sky is the limit.
LIke making headers Ive always dreampt of fabbing an intake also. Something completely different
May be a frankenstein pos but it would look cool.

Like the dual quad idea, maybe offset..higher than an old crossram. Love oddball one of a kind deals regardless how well they work.

Who came out with that Torqxxx dual plane yrs ago was supposed to solve common DP issues.
Cant remember thier name.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If/when AFR finally designs, fabricates, and sells a BBC dual plane roval intake that port matches the AFR 265 I swear I'll do my part and buy it.

Reactions: pockets

·
Registered
Ryan
1,641 Posts
I'm almost positive it would be. Additive manufacturing should allow for it, a metal powder is built up in layers and sintered together. It wouldn't be cheap though, especially for startup.
I found this video. That’s exactly how they did it. Time consuming and expensive. The old AFR sbc manifold was some sort of composite if I’m not mistaken. Makes me wonder if you could 3D print one out of a composite material of some sort.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Plastic big block manifold would be nice. Really light weight and wouldn’t transmit heat so much

so the red corvette from Sweden, hoot rod drag week, had something we are looking for!

·
Registered
911 Posts
hi
The TEAM G S/P did once come with a removable insert divider .
Manifold makers seriously need to look at this as manifolds are about 20 years outta date .
No dual or single plain has ever been tested on a 400cu in small block by Eldebrock .

Plastic manifolds are a race only upgrade . In real life they warp ,material degrades and crack . In a street car advantages ae not long term .

·
Registered
Ryan
1,641 Posts
AFR has made a prototype of their BBC intake. It looks 3D printed.
I’d be very interested to see one in person. I have a very good friend that is into CAD and he’s pretty damn good. My gears are turning.

·
Registered
12,958 Posts
Agree...some coule really use some help to get up to todays std.
Would be nice to see some BB pieces.

Mc Farland Tork Link, thats the one I was looking for. I....want....this...!!
Make mine a dual...imagine the way this would look for a BB!!!
Cool looking piece eh? TPI intake for carbs..would be fun to use on a stroker

Gas Auto part Engineering Metal Composite material

Motor vehicle Gas Automotive design Machine Automotive exterior

·
Registered
20 Posts
I found this video. That’s exactly how they did it. Time consuming and expensive. The old AFR sbc manifold was some sort of composite if I’m not mistaken. Makes me wonder if you could 3D print one out of a composite material of some sort.
You could. If I remember correctly the intake manifold on an '02 Saturn S series was ABS or something similar. ABS is notorious for warping during 3d printing however. Also, as previously noted, plastic manifolds aren't a good idea, especially on street vehicles as the material tends to crack. This is especially a problem is the engineers are stupid enough to mold a coolant fitting into said manifold (GM)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts