Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever had a car you wished you kept? For me it was about 19 years ago. I had bought a 1969 Chevelle for 400.00 bucks. It was in rough shape, only had a 6 cylinder, automatic. I had the body done and painted but as you all may know parts back in the late 80's were hard to find, and of course no Internet to help. Discourage by that and getting married I sold the car, never finishing it. Fast forward, I've decided i want another 69 Chevelle. After months of looking on Ebay and being blown away by the prices they want for one's just as rough if not worse then the one I had, I found one on Craigslist and not far from where I live. It was advertised as a SS 396, and me being skeptical went to look at it. Of course there was no engine or tranny, but all the badging was in place, the body work had already been done, just need sanding and paint. From what I have determined from the cowl tag it was built in Framingham MA in Feb 69, and from the numbers it did have the SS package. Car was originally a 396 with 4speed and had disk brake on the front, with bench seat. For a car that spent most of if not all its life in New England the frame is awesome, no repairs have been made and is very solid. I spent yesterday removing the body from the frame and when I removed the front fenders I found a small piece of the white stripe that went down side of the car, only reinforcing my thought that this is a SS car. Car was also originally Lemans blue. With the body of I am replacing the fuel and brake lines with stainless bought from Ground Up, also new body mounts, clean the frame and paint with Rust Ecapsulator from Eastwood. The body will be jambed out while it's off as well. The rear end is a Ford 9 inch that even though it's a good one I am installing a 12 bolt non-posi that I found in a salvage yard in PA for a good price. The engine is a 402 also found in a salvage yard, would like a 396 but can't find one reasonably priced, (bare block is 1,000). Tranny is a 4 speed that came out of a 69 Chevelle with correct numbers, (found on Ebay). My plan is to restore it to as close a original as possible, not looking to build a race rocket and besides I already know I'll have more money into then I'll ever get back should I sell it later on. I tried to upload pics but they are to big and have to figure out how to resize them.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
Yeah I sold my 66 in 1998.

I knew I would kick myself, and I do. Just wan't practical to keep it though

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.