Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 1970 chevelle SS I am currently putting back together. When I push the brake pedal down the idiot light to the left of the steering column turns on. I know the light on the right is the brights and I believe the lights on the left is emergency brakes. Can someone verify this and let me know why the light turns on when the brake is depressed.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Open the hood. On the driver's side, near the brake booster there's a tan wire that runs down to the frame. It attaches to the brake distribution block that the brakes lines go to.
Disconnect that wire.
Press on the brake pedal.
Does that unidentified light (guessing e-brake light)remain off?
Post back with the answer. If it does, you have a problem.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I noticed the tan wire last night and just ran out of time(3 little ones). I will try tonight. What problems do you think I have if the light stays on or off?

thanks again.

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was able to disconnect the tan wire and pump the brakes. No light. Looks like I need to bleed the lines and try again. Could the problem also be the distribution block?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I have not but I plan to do a complete job since it has sat for a few years. The peddle feels fine. does not go to the floor.
thanks for the input

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I wouldn't guess that there's a problem with the warning switch. It sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to. That is, every time you push on the the pedel, it is rocking the switch on and off and making the light go on and off. So the switch isn't stuck. That much I can see.
Almost sounds like the front or rear brakes have little or no fluid allowing the warning switch to toggle. Perhaps a leak. That's my guess.
If these are power brakes, the pedal will feel hard if the car isn't running, so a hard pedal doesn't mean much.
Anyway, sounds like something to look into before moving the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts