Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i thought that this light was a charging warning light but reading a post, when this guy pressed his brakes hard this light came on and he said it was a brake warning light. this is exactly what mine does. only time it comes on is when i brake hard. what is it suppose to be warning me about? brake system is up to sound.

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
It is supposed to warn you when the pressure in the front circuit is not equal to the pressure in the rear circuit. Sounds to me like you have a bad warning light switch if everything is working well.

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
What light???

IF it says BRAKE this idiot light indicates that #1 your parking brake is on, or #2 there is a pressure problem in your brake system! If it only happens you brake hard, that signals a warning flag to me, that you have brake problems. Don't take this too lightly as a friend had this lite come on and a week later his brakes almost failed completely.

Sometimes there's a problem with the little switch behind the emergency brake. It goes off and lights the light, to rule this out, make sure the (typically) tan wire behind the e-brake looks like it is connected well and the switch doesn't look screwy.

Now, it the idiot lite says GEN then this is the "generator" (alternator) idiot light. If this comes on during driving, there is a charging problem in the vehicles electrical system.

Joe

------------------
Creator of Team Chevelle's RADIO TECH for original audio questions and answers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
car is 70. the light is between tach and speedo and under left blinker. it is just a light bulb...nothing light oil light which says "oil".just the bulb. only comes on when brake hard. i have no emergency brake neither.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yes that is your brake warning light
oil light is in the left large gauge at the 6:00 oclock pos

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino

1 - 5 of 5 Posts