Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Planning to make this swap soon. Can it be done without a new wiring harness? I know the temp sending unit changes and oil pressure is covered with tubing. What else do I need to think about? Volts?

------------------
Chevelles forever....Member #401
67SS w/dual-quad 509
71SS454 LS5
97 C5
68 Z/28
When buying chevelle parts, consulting your significant other half is not encouraged. It is a lot easier to get forgiveness than permission.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I read an article in CHP where they converted the idiot lights to guages on a 67. They got a kit from OPG that used the same harness. It's the January 2002 issue. Hope this helps.

------------------
1967 Malibu
406 cid / 350 TH
Under Constuction

·
Premium Member
17,557 Posts
The OPG kit (also a set offered at Shiftworks.com ) is a new aftermarket unit with slight differences from a factory setup. I believe they both use an electrical oil pressure guage...

I don't think most people would recognize the difference...

This might be a good choice is you aren't worried about a completely original appearance.

The guages are new and bright while most used setups are twice the price, need the wiring mods and are usually starting to fade and rust.

As for converting to the stock guages:

The Oil guage is mechanical, so no wiring problems,

The Fuel guage uses the same plug as non-guage fuel gauges.

The Battery guage can be made functional with some wiring changes (see a wiring diagram).

The Water Temp guage will also require some wiring mods, as well as a new variable sending unit...

I did this swap before, but since I was running some aftermarket guages, I decided to only worry about the Fuel and Oil guages... I have heard the factory battery guages are dangerous (although I have never seen actual problems), and I prefer to see the numbers on my water temps...

------------------

"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."
TC #1366
Tony
The Chevelle
Dual Quad 396
Side View

[This message has been edited by 1966_L78 (edited 10-15-2002).]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does anyone have the article that scooter67 mentions who could possibly copy and e-mail it to me? I certainly would appreciate it!

------------------
Chevelles forever....Member #401
67SS w/dual-quad 509
71SS454 LS5
97 C5
68 Z/28
When buying chevelle parts, consulting your significant other half is not encouraged. It is a lot easier to get forgiveness than permission.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts