Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

identifying 66 supersports

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  jaqazi 
#1 ·
I've just been to the Restoration shop section of Team Chevelle; http://www.chevelles.com/shop/index.shtml
In the section: How to identify 66-67 Supersports, they mention a number inside the trunk lip well:

"The ident number will also be stamped into the trunk lip well and is located about 1/3 of the way back on the side body lip (next to weatherstrip) should start with 138".

I just checked mine and it has #381716 stamped there. It doesn't start with 1.

Does this number really signify the car as an SS. I didn't check the number on the frame yet.

Also, did all 66 Supersports have 12 bolt rears? Mine has a 10 bolt posi, but does have the control arm reinforcements.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

#2 ·
Bob -

13817 is the model # that indicates SS for '66. This should be the first 5 digits of your VIN. If its 13517 or 13617, don't bother looking any further, 'cuz you've got a regular Malibu. The number stamped in the sheetmetal that you found has a 3817 in it, which matches the SS #, so my guess is the number 1 just isn't visible. When this number matches, it just confirms what the VIN tells you. The number shouldn't be relied on too heavily, as the sheisters will fill them in on bogus cars, and if a quarter was replaced at some point, the number won't match, but the car may still be an SS. Can't help you on the rear end stuff.

Good luck,

Rainer

#3 ·
Not that they didn't exist, but I have never seen a factory BB SS car without a 12bolt. As far as I know, a 12bolt is included as part of the BB SS PACKAGE. Now maybe, just maybe, in 72 when you could get an SS with a sml bk, possibly some of those came with a 10bolt. But I won't waste good money on a bet.

------------------

#4 ·
Another bit of trivia. I noticed the first 5 digits of the model number of my car stamped behind the interior door panel just below the vent window on the drivers side door. Not that you cant swap doors, but it is just another place to confirm a number.
John Walker

#5 ·
All SS396's had 12 bolt rear axles, but remember most of these SS396's were driven hard and its not uncommon for the engines, trans and rear axles to have failed and other parts installed. As a matter of fact these cars had high warranty claims due to the abuse they got from their owners. Consumers reports classified 1965-66 Chevys as undesirable cars to own, especially the SS396. Yet today its just the opposite!

The 381716 seems to have the numbers in wrong sequence, should read 138176; 1=Chevrolet Division; 3817=Malibu SS 2 door Sport Coupe; 6=1966. Body parts can be changed, look for indications of body work.

[This message has been edited by elcamino (edited 02-14-99).]

#6 ·
First I want to thank all who replied.

Im going to check what JMW mentioned and there is supposedly a number stamped into the frame that should read like SS. (138176) I haven't checked that one yet.

I "purposly" left out the fact that my cowl tag is missing, and the V.I.N. tag in the door jam isn't correct. (works out to be a four door-title even says 4 door).

The best I can figure is the original title got lost at some point and a 4-door donor car was used.

I strongly believe that this car is an SS.

Here's a few reasons why:

1) Has all SS parts; hood, steering column, emblems, rocker moldings, etc.
2) Holes for emblems appear to be factory (not drilled)
3) Has 3/8" fuel line.
4) Has 396 frame mounts (for motor)
5) Has reinforcement on rear control arms.
6) Has Bucket seats with original brackets welded in-hole in floor for shifter and original console harness intact. (was under the rug because console missing)
7) Has spined rag joint (suposedly for 396's)
8) Trunk lid has no holes in it (where Malibu's would have "Chevelle" script.
9) Has SS dash face(no PRNDL on face)
10) Has H.D. or big block springs. (Does have factory air)

I owned the car since 1986.

Now that I confessed about everything,(I didn't want to cloud the original question with facts)
, I would like to know what others think and if there is anything else I can check.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

#8 ·
Just to confuse the issue a little more, this is what I found on my 66 Malibu. The numbers stamped by the trunk weathership is 213617 on the left side and 1361723 on the right side. These are original quarters. I don't know why the numbers do not match but they both have the 136 sequence in them.

Bob Murray
ACES #01941

#9 ·
Just in case anyone else wants to go a-hunting, these numbers are stamped in various other places on the body. One place to find the number that's relatively easy to get to is under the door sill plates.

------------------
Rainer
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
rseitz@pacifier.com

#10 ·
#11 ·
Your car is probably real, but why would someone put a different VIN on it? Isn't there a legal way to handle a lost title? Sounds like the car may have been stolen at some time. Is this possible?

My 67 SS also has the VIN stamped on the top of the Muncie 4 speed on the back flange of the main housing.

The frame stamp is on TOP of the frame near the back, so it can be tough to get to unless you're doing a frame off.

10 bolts are incorrect for 66 SSs. I think the VIN is also stamped on one of the axle tubes too, so you could check that.

Anyway, without the firewall tag and VIN tag your car will be virtually impossible to document for a picky buyer. You probably should not worry too much about proving its originality. It looks like you have an SS, so just make as nice as you like.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.