Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Malibu is an option or trim level, with difference based upon year.

All Malibus are Chevelles, all Chevelles are not Malibus.

I believe there is something in the tech reference on this, but I can't recall off the top of my head where it is.

·
Premium Member
17,391 Posts
For the early years (64-67), the line of cars was the Chevelle. Within the Chevelle line you had "300" series, "300 Deluxe" series, "Malibu", "Supersport" (as well as El Camino Custom and Concours, etc.).

for 1966 (for example), all Malibus came with all vinyl interiors, while the 300 and 300 Deluxe had cloth & vinyl seats. The malibu had more exterior bright trim than the 300, etc (wheel opening moldings,rocker moldings, taillight panel trim, etc. The Malibu dash was also a little nicer with more "chromed" plastic pieces about the glove box and up where the ignition switch is, and Chromed armrest bases... also a fancier steering wheel (4 chrome "rings").

The Supersport utilized the more luxurious Malibu trim except for the obvious emblems(Malibu vs, Supersport).

So basically the Malibu is a trim level. I think this holds true through 72, but after that, it might have been reversed...

------------------
"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."
TC #1366
Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

[This message has been edited by 1966_L78 (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
514 Posts
i know on the 1970 malibu there wat trim along the top of the fenders that stretched all the way down to the rear quarters ( i know i have those fricken posts on mine they always rip my shirts bas**rds) just a little help…

·
Premium Member
5,652 Posts
Dave O,
From 69-72 the SS was an option package and not a seprate model line as was from 66-68, the only way to tell proof positive on a 71 is to have a build sheet, or the pop for that car, an SS is more inclined to have certin things, but with out the Build sheet or pop, you just can't tell for sure.There is no way to tell from the V.I.N. on 1969-72 model whether it is a Super Sport or not(except that it's not a 6 Cylinder)

Rocky Hill

------------------
A Man And His Chevelle!
It's A Beautiful Thing.

My66SS

·
Registered
961 Posts
Malibu the model or Malibu the car?

Not all Malibus are Chevelles. From what I know Canadian cars are simply Malibus. (Although mine does have a "CHEVELLE" grill emblem?)

I am speaking of US Chevelles vs Canadian Malibus. Both cars are basically identical. The big difference that I know of is that all US Chevelles had the engine compartment painted black, while Canadian cars are painted body color. Also the big "GM CANADA" stamped on the VIN tag also gives it away.

Steve

[This message has been edited by wanarace (edited 09-10-2001).]

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
ALL Malibu's (we're talking pre 74 or so) are Chevelles. The Malibu was a "step up" trim option with more "appointments" than the basic models. When I ordered mine in 1970, I paid extra bucks for the Malibu trim package. The Chevelle name plate adorns the grill, while the Malibu name is on the door panels. The blank plate above the heater controls, of course, says Chevrolet.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
560,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.