Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Guys....I was looking through the GM resto page on the "net" and I see that they sell a huge number of decals for air cleaner and valve covers. There were a couple of horsepower designations that I couln't place. One was for 345 horsepower and the other 385. They are part #'s 3969861 and 3906658 respectively. ( I don't know if the numbers would be relevant to the era in which the engine was produced. ) Anyway, from the word Turbojet (both) and the first three digits of the code, I am speculating that they may have been in the 427 family. Can anyone tell me ( us ) what those great old engines were. Thanks R. B. PS I know the ZZZ is 385/385, but it's a new one.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I THINK the 385 hp decal is for a 68 427 from an Impala SS.. . anyone agree/disagree? Also, any "turbo jet" semi circle hp decals are for some sort of big block, the small blocks never used that type of decal.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I think you're right Joey. I believe they put that engine is several years and models though. I can't remember what the 345 was, didn't care enough to keep up with low horse stuff at the time, but I think there was a 2 barrel 427 in a Caprice or Impala or something, and probably wagons too.

·
Premium Member
2,658 Posts
The 385 hp 427 engine was used in both 1967 and 1968 in the standard Impala, Super Sports and SS427's. Corvettes were rated at 390 hp. 1967 was the only year that a 425 hp L-72 427 was not available in an Impala.
www.impalass427.com for those who care about heavy weights...........
(us barge guys need to stick together ya know)

------------------
"Details Make the Difference"
Musclecar Restoration and Design

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
The 345 hp was a 454 offered in the '70 Impala/Caprice.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

·
Registered
63 Posts
I've seen custom stickers made. Like 502/585hp, etc. At all the cruise-ins I've been to, everyone has the LS6 sticker, no matter what their engine is(I've seen the 450 sticker on a v6).

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dear Guys...thanks guys, that seems to clear it up, unless anyone has something to add, which is always welcome. R. B.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.