Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that i have the chance to once again pull my motor and tranny, i want to fix what just wasnt up to par for me in my 350. About 3 weeks ago i finished building a 350 4 bolt main with a mild cam zz4 aluminum heads edelbrock performer manifold and edelbrock carb. The problem was for some reason the motor wasnt making nearly as much power as it should have. Im looking for some small block experts to guide me threw this budget rebuild-build of my motor.

What i currently have and plan to reuse
aluminum heads off zz4 motor
350 4 bolt main block
crank
edelbrock carb
What i want,
to make around 420hp
Keep Budget within the $500 range

I saw in a recent super chevy mag. they made 406hp for within 1000$ and that was including everything so considering what i have 500$ should do plenty. Also this car is my daily driver so i was thinking what is the pros and cons of efi'ing the car 5mpg is terrible on 93octane.

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
You need to get the static compression up to around 10.5 or 11:1 and run a pretty good sized hydraulic flat tappet cam. Look at a cam with a split pattern, but only with longer exhaust duration, not increased lift. I am going to say maybe "a 280" cam.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
So now that i have the chance to once again pull my motor and tranny, i want to fix what just wasnt up to par for me in my 350. About 3 weeks ago i finished building a 350 4 bolt main with a mild cam zz4 aluminum heads edelbrock performer manifold and edelbrock carb. The problem was for some reason the motor wasnt making nearly as much power as it should have. Im looking for some small block experts to guide me threw this budget rebuild-build of my motor.

What i currently have and plan to reuse
aluminum heads off zz4 motor
350 4 bolt main block
crank
edelbrock carb
What i want,
to make around 420hp
Keep Budget within the $500 range

I saw in a recent super chevy mag. they made 406hp for within 1000$ and that was including everything so considering what i have 500$ should do plenty. Also this car is my daily driver so i was thinking what is the pros and cons of efi'ing the car 5mpg is terrible on 93octane.
I would take a good long read on this link: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0902_small_block_chevy_bolt_ons/index.html
Your biggest bang for the buck on this setup would be to replace the ZZ4 heads. A well setup set of vortec heads at the least, with a cam change would wake up your 350 for sure.
Here's some flow numbers on your ZZ4 heads.
GM ZZ4
Lift Int. Exh.
0.100 56 52
0.200 120 104
0.300 160 133
0.400 186 150
0.500 196 170
0.600 199 175
Even a set of Patriot Vortec heads would really help out.
https://www.patriot-performance.com/xcart/product.php?productid=206&cat=76&page=1

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
If your still in need of help I would check out the NastyZ28 forum.
These guys here are more into the BBC's.
70 views and 3 comments..:sad:
420hp from a 350 with a $500 budget.....Hmmmmmm

1 - 6 of 6 Posts