Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While spraying grease on the clutch and brake pedal pivots I found this, WTF!! . Keep in mind this was a one owner 53k mile car thats been stored since 1985. The engine clutch and tranny work better than they should. I cant come up with a reason or purpose for the welding .
thumbnail_ATT00001 - 2021-07-19T073135.740.jpg
thumbnail_ATT00001 (3).jpg

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Apparently the first owner had some sort of problem. Not exactly sure what it would be. Weird.

·
Registered
1970 Chevelle, MJ 467, 600hp/600tq, Moser 12 bolt M22Z muncie
799 Posts
Looks like the pedal broke off the pivot. I would have least removed the pieces before welding.
We used to call that a gorilla weld. Big strong and ugly.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats gotta be it.No wonder the clutch pedal sits up higher than the brake and gas pedals.

·
Super Moderator
1,949 Posts
I used to run heavy McLeod Borg & Beck/Long style clutches before the modern diaphragm models came out and broke several clutch linkage parts. Broke Z-bars and the bracket off the pedal. Always fixed it like that with a welded reinforcement plate.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Every time ya think you've seen it all better think again lol

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thats gotta be it.No wonder the clutch pedal sits up higher than the brake and gas pedals.
Maybe the original owner didn't like where the pedal was or felt to them and they just had it raised by a local shop (or buddy)?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I used to run heavy McLeod Borg & Beck/Long style clutches before the modern diaphragm models came out and broke several clutch linkage parts. Broke Z-bars and the bracket off the pedal. Always fixed it like that with a welded reinforcement plate.
Common, breaking z bars back in the day …. I broke mine in a new '63 Impala SS from powershifting…

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,421 Posts
While spraying grease on the clutch and brake pedal pivots I found this, WTF!! . Keep in mind this was a one owner 53k mile car thats been stored since 1985. The engine clutch and tranny work better than they should. I cant come up with a reason or purpose for the welding . View attachment 716896
The part of the pedal that goes up against the rubber bumper gets welded to the pedal arm. Sometimes they broke where they were welded especially on some of the repro pedals. The extra piece was probably welded to it to beef it up and hold it all together. As far as the pedal height your clutch pedal should be higher than your brake pedal by around a inch.
DSCN1188_zpscr0jnlgb.jpg

·
Registered
1971 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu
7,421 Posts
HK, great looking interior.
Thanks, I wanted a different look for the dash than the standard sweep dash or SS dash. Bought the Cross Flag 396 Emblems for the outside of the car but couldn't find a place where I thought they looked good so I put them on the door panels for another different look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts