Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just Looking For Some Pointers On How I Can Get Horsepower Out Of My 350. I Want To Get Cams. Should I Go With The Cam Set, What Rpm? Any Prefernces? What Else Could I Do?

·
Premium Member
7,984 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,172 Posts
It would be much easier to recommend a cam if we knew your rear gears, transmission, and motor specifications.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all i know right now is the basics, its a 350 with edelbrock manifold, holley carb, 350 turbo trans, and my dad is looking for the gear receipt. but i should hopfully know soon. do you have gear specification?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it only seems like you and i are talking in other thread so we can just stay here and chat about your thoughts on what is best. i already have the inline fuel pump. so thats not a problem, but you think the best would just to do a new tank and leave the sump out?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
around 450. just a street/strip once in a while. nothing to big but enough to blow away any rice burner or. i was thinking a about gettin that edelbrock cam set, what rear would i need and/or what would i need to change?

·
Registered
429 Posts
To pull 450 horse out of a 350 is not easy, you would need to do alot to that motor top to bottom, match it with a torque converter and the correct set of gears, It will take a decent amount of money to do all this so make sure you are read for the investment end as well

good luck,

Brian

·
Registered
681 Posts
You already have a decent intake and carb. I would focus on decent heads and cam kit. 450 hp is quite a a lot of $$$$$ and motor for a 350 and will probably not be very street freindly. If the car is primarily street shoot for torque. Best bang for the buck and a great set of heads for a novice Id pick up a set of Vortecs or a set of Dart iron heads. Determine what stall the tramsmission is, the gears in the rear and your rear tire diameter and call a handfull of your favorite cam companies for recomendations and then pick. Be sure to get new lifters and timing chain while your at it. If your 350 is not stock and build with forged pistons you can also entertain a small NO2 shot.

Your language indicates you quite new to all of this.....best thing you can do is read read read a lot and become educated before you go out and just buy parts than your buddy or the magazines say are best is my my valuable recomendation.

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
You already have a decent intake and carb. I would focus on decent heads and cam kit. 450 hp is quite a a lot of $$$$$ and motor for a 350 and will probably not be very street freindly. If the car is primarily street shoot for torque. Best bang for the buck and a great set of heads for a novice Id pick up a set of Vortecs or a set of Dart iron heads. Determine what stall the tramsmission is, the gears in the rear and your rear tire diameter and call a handfull of your favorite cam companies for recomendations and then pick. Be sure to get new lifters and timing chain while your at it. If your 350 is not stock and build with forged pistons you can also entertain a small NO2 shot.

Your language indicates you quite new to all of this.....best thing you can do is read read read a lot and become educated before you go out and just buy parts than your buddy or the magazines say are best is my my valuable recomendation.
I read the same thing in his post.
Maybe a crate would be his best option.
If he's really shooting for 425-450 hp.
Something that will live....

·
Registered
681 Posts
I read the same thing in his post.
Maybe a crate would be his best option.
If he's really shooting for 425-450 hp.
Something that will live....

Maybe a Good idea Big Red. To the orignal poster I think your best bet is to figure out exactly what components you have right now in that motor, trans and rear end,,,,as well as how much time/miles are on that short block. To put new top end on a motor with 50K + thats gonna be beat on definately is worth considering a new crate. Or at least freshing up the bottom end before putting on a new top end. As you can see there are quite a few factors involved to do it correct......Again, know exactly what you have before you start throwing parts at it...thats how Noobies make expensive mistakes.....I know Ive had some expensive lessons learned.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
You can get it with a well designed system,

-350 Bored .030" over
-KB 105 Hyper pistons
-Dart 180cc Iron Eagle or a head of your choice around this size/performance with large chambers to lower compression a bit, with a .025" deck and an old steel shim it will put you right at 10.1:1
-Hyd roller 222/230 @.050 .509/.528 108° lobe center, Works very well with a mix of pump fuel and cam 2, if your looking for pump fuel only up the duration to 230/238 @.050 on a 108° lobe center

3.73 gears and your ready for some great street performance with a good dual plane Dart or Edelbrock air gap

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
You can get it with a well designed system,

-350 Bored .030" over
-KB 105 Hyper pistons
-Dart 180cc Iron Eagle or a head of your choice around this size/performance with large chambers to lower compression a bit, with a .025" deck and an old steel shim it will put you right at 10.1:1
-Hyd roller 222/230 @.050 .509/.528 108° lobe center, Works very well with a mix of pump fuel and cam 2, if your looking for pump fuel only up the duration to 230/238 @.050 on a 108° lobe center

3.73 gears and your ready for some great street performance with a good dual plane Dart or Edelbrock air gap
He would need better than stock rods I think to use a shim..hate to see the pistons kiss the valve's while having a little rod stretch.

But all of that could be ordered in a crate engine...Just plug it in and go...:thumbsup:

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
He would need better than stock rods I think to use a shim..hate to see the pistons kiss the valve's while having a little rod stretch.

But all of that could be ordered in a crate engine...Just plug it in and go...:thumbsup:
No, he would need an Eagle or Scat rod. In a mild HP engine like that i would use Scat 4340 I Beam rods

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so basiclly i would need couple thousand dollars to fix this engine up. i was hoping it just to be cam heads and rear. but the way it sounds. well i was wrong!

·
Premium Member
5,385 Posts
so basiclly i would need couple thousand dollars to fix this engine up. i was hoping it just to be cam heads and rear. but the way it sounds. well i was wrong!
Your really not wrong at all. It's one thing to make HP, but it's a totally other thing to keep the engine from blowing it's self up. You had said you would like to make around 450hp. Thats more than 1hp per cube.

You are starting with a older used engine. 1st you must have a sound short block to start with. Maybe it's in real good shape. Can't tell till you pull it apart. If it's in good shape, you could make 350-375 hp and still be in a safe zone with the stock crank/rods/pistons.

And then just use one of the top end kits you spoke of.

·
Banned
10,053 Posts
Your really not wrong at all. It's one thing to make HP, but it's a totally other thing to keep the engine from blowing it's self up. You had said you would like to make around 450hp. Thats more than 1hp per cube.

You are starting with a older used engine. 1st you must have a sound short block to start with. Maybe it's in real good shape. Can't tell till you pull it apart. If it's in good shape, you could make 350-375 hp and still be in a safe zone with the stock crank/rods/pistons.

And then just use one of the top end kits you spoke of.
he could use stock rods, they may lasy 5 years, maybe 1, maybe 2 weeks. If i had to guess i would say you would be fine with stock ods up to 450hp with ARP bolts installed BUT by time you do that ou have $300 in the rods and you can buy a good set of Scat 4340 I beam or Eagle

For that note you could buy the GM PM rods

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
the way you are talking, it sounds to me (correct me if i am wrong) that you havent done something like this before?

if "i want more horses" means "i want to go faster" start with the rear. make sure u know what gears you have. make sure you have a posi too. as far as a cam for a street 350, i wouldnt hesitate to recommend a lunati part number 60103LK, provided you have the gears, a little converter and the compression. tell us more about the motor. what did it come out of? what heads? so right now you just have headers/exhaust, intake and carb?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
the engine is a remanufactured jasper. bought right from jasper. like i said before. im just starting to really to get into the whole upgrading part. so the heads i dont know. im sure the rear is stock 70 malibu rear. we put a 350 turbo trans in at the same time as the engine (5 years ago, roughly 3,000 miles ago) maybe i will try to take photoes of the engine and all that to post to help explain what i got. i thank you all for all your help and must be fusterating to describe eveything word for word. but bottom line. i should look at getting 3.73 rear? and then i can consider pumpin more horses out of the car?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts