Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a few weeks ago i made a similar post but it got off track and i didnt get much help, so i thought i would try again. I just rebuilt the motor in my 1970 el camino. Its a 355ci with 410hp. It has vortec heads that have been ported along with the intake. it has an Edelbrock 600 cfm carb. Its around 12:1 compression (i know its a bit much but its just the way it ended up). It has a 278/288 duration and .420/.443 lift cam. at the moment i have hooker headers with flowmaster super 44 mufflers dumped before the axle. I do like the way the flowmasters sound but im looking for something a bit louder and more crisp and crackly/tinny/snappy. Thats the best way i know how to explain the sound im searching for. I was hoping you all could suggest some mufflers that could get me close to that sound. videos and soundclips are always helpful!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Do not get UltraFlows. :noway:

They sound nothing like Flowmisers, err..Flowmasters...and no cool drone, either. :mad:

Who cares about maximizing exhaust flow & HP anyway? It's all about the sound, daddy-o!! :cool:

After all, the louder, the badder, right? :beers:

·
Gold Founding Member
10,972 Posts

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The snappy part of it is mostly the engine.

Here is mine and my set up is in my sig.

·
Registered
31 Posts
just run glass packs w/turndowns on the end of your headers....not a better sound IMO, unless you run straight headers

·
Premium Member
18,299 Posts
Well, when I first put my car together, I had these 2 chamber deals on there . HOLY COW! Crisp to be sure; sounded like a chambered exhaust and that's about as loud and crisp as you can get. I ended up having MufflerMan put BIG mufflers on there.

This is with tail pipes, and I think you get some "crispness" from a full exhaust. I did.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No turndowns = exhaust fumes eating into floorboards. Rotted my dads 68 camaro floorboards, of course it will take a little while before that happens.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
I couldn't have said it better.
Depends on if you´re willing to offer some hp to get that ultra cool sound. Not everyone is building just for max hp. To me it´s the combo, nice stands, sounding right, looking right AND going fast. We all have a different approach when building our dream car, no need to bash a guy that wan´t it to sound right for him. If other people don´t like, who cares. It´s his ride, as long as he´s happy it´s all good right ? :thumbsup:

Small tubes all the way back help alot to give that crispy/thin sound.
Our camaro with 300hp 350 - headers, full 2 1/2" exhaust cherry bombs - or some kind of/unknown brand and tailpipes sounded pretty much like you described you wanted.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
pypes racepro mufflers with an x pipe

aaron

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
how did you get the idea it's 12:1? 355, flattops, 64cc chambers, more like 10:1.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i've been leaning towards the race pros with the X pipe. I also have looked at a few videos of purple hornies. whats everyones thoughts on those?? heres a video.

·
Premium Member
3,262 Posts
how did you get the idea it's 12:1? 355, flattops, 64cc chambers, more like 10:1.
X2

Don't think that combo is anywhere near 12:1 :noway:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts