Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I think it's official that i'm going to need some counselling. I've been waiting for my 454 to get back from the shop for about 2 months now and through problem after problem, it is so close to done I can almost feel it. Every time I see an old car I start dreaming about driving my car. And every day I call the guy at the machine shop and every day he says, well, Maybe tomorrow. So I wait another day. And by the time I get her running, snow will be on the ground and I will get to watch it in the garage for another 7 months! arrggg, my chevelle gives me more grief than women

------------------
Chris Dagenais
CST Kelsey
'71 Malibu soon to be 454!
http://member.xoom.com/Gandalf80/Chris'sPage

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes!, you are going nutty if you start to believe the last sentence in your post

------------------

–Joe454–
"67 Malibu"

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
Hi Gandalf80,

Stay the course! I was down from Oct last until late june this year having body work and new paint done. Fired the rebuilt engine and drove about three miles before a cam lobe was flat. Total rebuild again and now am chaffin' at the bit too. Almost got engine back in car. As they say, "I feel your pain".
Patience.

Dan

·
Registered
131 Posts
Snow Tires? Around here it never (well almost never) snows....but I have heard of Road Salt... and I would NEVER do that to a classic car. That's what FWD, and Foreign stuff are for!!!

Either move away from snow, or spend a LOT of time with polish, wrenches, magazines, TV, etc.

Dave H.
Houston (Hot in Summer, Wet in Winter) TX

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Dan & Tom,

What's with all the cam's?? Mine did the same thing on break-in. I've also talked to a couple other guys that went through the same thing. I know we all can't be bone-heads!! I installed mine per instuctions that came with the cam. Second cam kit worked just fine. From now on, it's roller cams for me, they don't require a break-in.

------------------
Joe Giniel
72 Chevelle SS
Team Chevelle #143
Aces #03056

[This message has been edited by Joe G (edited 08-20-99).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Happened to my 427. They found ( Crane) after inspection of the lifters and cam lobes that the lifters weren't "spinning" like they should've. Mentioned core shift. They special ground a net set of lifters and ne'er a probelm since. Bizzare though isn't it? I never remember people having so many problems with cam when I was a kid. Man, what gives?

I'm tempted to go roller at the next rebuild too. But why so much wipe out now and not 20 years ago? Love to know the answer to that.

Chris, but like a fine woman, that rat will make you smile and your loins ache for more.

Signed,

Way beyond counseling.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 08-20-99).]

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I can't say I feel any better yet

However, I am VERY stressed out about the break in because I only get one chance. If the cam goes, my car sits without an engine until late next year after I start working again and can afford to rebuild the sucker again, and i'll spend another winter at school dreaming about driving my car in summer only to have it not happen.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
CST Kelsey

·
Registered
5 Posts
Everybody knows about coil bind, right? Everybody knows about pre-oiling the engine prior to firing, right? Everybody knows to run the engine above 2000rpm for the first 20 minutes, right? If you do eat a lobe 71Malibu454, buy my 454 posted in parts for sale under "454 for sale or trade". By the way, this is not the engine experiencing low oil pressure as posted in the tech page. Godd luck. SD

·
Registered
49 Posts
Gandalf,

Go to the shop and use your spells on machine shop guy to get your shadowfaxs´ heart pronto! Phone calls are just too weak for any real influence...

BTW Nice trunklid gfx, finally got to say this..

Take action!

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
HAHA, well that made my day vortech, not many people even know where my nick came from

And as for phone calls, ya I know they are weak, I stop in and bug him every now and then, hopefully it will be done early this week.

------------------
Chris Dagenais
CST Kelsey

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah, I have read the JRRT LOTR 3x500 pg paperback... only once tho... but i agree that it is too short

Got this anime movie too, covers only the fellowship and beg. of Two Towers.. but you know, no doubt..

Maybe the 454 is still s-fax, but 800 cid is balrog?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.