Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the driveshaft out of my 200-4R and the transmission emptied about a 4 foot puddle of fluid on to the garage floor. Is this supposed to happen? I also noticed that the splined output shaft of the tranny had about 1/2" of play up-down and side-to-side. I don't recall how much play the output shaft had in it before I installed the driveshaft so I don't know what is normal. What is my problem here?

I purchased the trans from Bowtie Overdrives about 4 years ago but I just installed it about 18 months ago. I haven't driven the car in about a year, but there was no signs of any leakage from the trans while the car was parked.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Eric

·
Premium Member
16,843 Posts
THe trans didn't drain all the way, the 2004R's hold 14 quarts of fluid I believe. Tranny fluid spreads rather far. Fluid coming out when the driveshaft pulled is to be expected unless you have the car jacked up in the rear with the front tires on the ground, or at an angle. The tailshaft is suppose to have some play in it, but how much, I don't know.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
the play in the output shaft is normal-the driveshaft supports it, and the rear housing supports the driveshaft

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
It is always nice to have a spare yoke when pulling the driveshaft.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. Come to think of it, every time I have pulled a driveshaft in the past, I had the back end jacked up. This time the car is a little higher in the front. That probably explains why I dumped 10 times more fluid this time.

-Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts