Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought my wife an i pod for christmas, you'd think i bought her a 40k diamond, she really enjoys this thing. anyway her birthday is friday, she drives an 05 mustang g.t. that is supposed to be mp compatable. is there something i can buy to hook her i pod into the sterio? what and where do i need to look?

·
Premium Member
1,430 Posts
Bill, there should be something in the owners manual. You might need to get a cable from the dealer, or maybe a stereo shop. I have a Alpine deck in my truck, and its ipod ready, just hook it to a cable from the back, and the deck does all the controlling. Good luck, Daren

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have an IPOD !!! I have a spot on the front of my radio that I plug a wire from the headphone jack on the IPOD to the radio. The radio is a after-market, but most new cars have a spot on the back of the factory radio to plug a IPOD to. You would have to go to Best Buy or Circuit City or the Ford dealer to buy the correct wire, and have them plug the wire to the back of the radio if the radio has a spot for it. Usually you have to take the dash apart to get to the spot if you want to do it your self. I wouldn't recommend on a new car unless you know what you are doing because of the air bags hoped this helps you:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Bill,

They also make a little box that goes in the antenna line. It allows you to plug in your IPOD, then you just set the station to whatever channel, and it comes in that way. You even hook it up to power, so it will charge your IPOD while its plugged in. They are on Crutchfield.com

Good luck-
Tim

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Bill,

There IS an adapter available from Crutchfield for the Shaker 500 stereos. Try doing a search on the Mustang forum: http://www.mustangforums.com/forumid_233/tt.htm

This was discussed at length on that forum a while back, so a search should turn up the topic.

·
Registered
88 Posts
"mp compatible" ???
"unplug antenna"????
"spot on the back"????
I really don't know why all the difficulty, but the REAL easy solution is the device that plugs into the bottom interface jack of the iPod, a 'transmitter', if you will. The 'transmitter' can be tuned to a frequency of the FM band that you want to receive on, say 107 Mhz. The car radio & the iPod transmitter should both display the same number for the frequency you select. Then you simply lay or place the iPod nearby the radio or the vehicle's antenna, nothing to disconnect or change over, the FM radio picks up the signal & plays the content on the iPod. Your 'mp compatible' might actually refer to 'mp3' compatible, which is a music format on a CD disk, it will not have anything to do with reception. These transmitters are available even from sources such as Staples, Office Depot, etc..
These transmitters may also have the availabilty to 'recharge' the iPod battery while in use, those type will be a few dollars more. This will be a 'cigarette' plug-in model or could have a cable to plug into the cigarette lighter plug. That would be the only plug-in feature to put up with.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
"mp compatible" ???
"unplug antenna"????
"spot on the back"????
I really don't know why all the difficulty, but the REAL easy solution is the device that plugs into the bottom interface jack of the iPod, a 'transmitter', if you will. The 'transmitter' can be tuned to a frequency of the FM band that you want to receive on, say 107 Mhz. The car radio & the iPod transmitter should both display the same number for the frequency you select. Then you simply lay or place the iPod nearby the radio or the vehicle's antenna, nothing to disconnect or change over, the FM radio picks up the signal & plays the content on the iPod. Your 'mp compatible' might actually refer to 'mp3' compatible, which is a music format on a CD disk, it will not have anything to do with reception. These transmitters are available even from sources such as Staples, Office Depot, etc..
These transmitters may also have the availabilty to 'recharge' the iPod battery while in use, those type will be a few dollars more. This will be a 'cigarette' plug-in model or could have a cable to plug into the cigarette lighter plug. That would be the only plug-in feature to put up with.
This is the FM modulator. They flat out suck and are annoying.

I have one, use it for a day and then went and bought a hardwire kit.

I HIGHLY recommend, if you like fair sound in your music and not low power, tinny, listen to your burned CD's with all the power of AM talk radio, static, etc.....to NOT use an FM modulator. Whoever invented those should be fined for wasting the audio worlds time.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
This is the FM modulator. They flat out suck and are annoying.

I have one, use it for a day and then went and bought a hardwire kit.

I HIGHLY recommend, if you like fair sound in your music and not low power, tinny, listen to your burned CD's with all the power of AM talk radio, static, etc.....to NOT use an FM modulator. Whoever invented those should be fined for wasting the audio worlds time.
Agree ABSOLUTELY!

Cheapest option.
If your radio has an "AUX" jack on the faceplate, use a double male ended cable to get her on the road. $1.98 at Best Buy.

Optional cheap- Add an iPod car charger that plugs into your cig.lighter/power jack

Best option is hardwire. It powers the iPod, charges it, and most of them use the radio buttons as the control. I used a Monster iCruise (not the iCarPlay) in my Explorer and have no real complaints. I only paid $99 for it. Most of the hardwire kits are $200-$300.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
This what I use in my truck. It works pretty good. Push a button and it finds a frequency, you tune your radio to that station and your done. It also charges the iPod for you because it's powered by the cig lighter 12V power. Sometimes you have to change the frequency if there is interference, but usually not more then once or twice. If the cig lighter hole is in a inconvenient spot it might be a pain to get to the iPod, just depends on where its at on the dash. You can pick up the same unit at your local Target.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=MTU3MTk&fnode=home/shop_ipod/ipod_accessories/car_audio&nplm=TQ056LL/A

·
Premium Member
27,555 Posts
My wife's '08 Edge has an Ipod (aux) input inside the center console. The CUV is Factory equipped with the higher end Sirius radio.
With a Mustang, I'd look there first...it's possible.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
This what I use in my truck. It works pretty good. Push a button and it finds a frequency, you tune your radio to that station and your done. It also charges the iPod for you because it's powered by the cig lighter 12V power. Sometimes you have to change the frequency if there is interference, but usually not more then once or twice. If the cig lighter hole is in a inconvenient spot it might be a pain to get to the iPod, just depends on where its at on the dash. You can pick up the same unit at your local Target.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...pod/ipod_accessories/car_audio&nplm=TQ056LL/A

Actually, after reading a few of the customer ratings on the apple website of this unit I take back this recommendation!:sad:

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
I've had terrible results with the AUX input male to male adaptor. I think the best for sound is hardwire with the adaptor plugging into the iPOD at the bottom port. That port is where you'll get the best quality sound out of the iPOD.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
I've had terrible results with the AUX input male to male adaptor. .
male on male anything always leads to terrible results...well, either that or a SUPER high credit card bill from purchasing lots of leather goods....

:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts