Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should have it in about a month. I went with Scott Shafiroff engines. It's the ultra street engine with a hydraulic roller camshaft putting out 685 HP. I'll let you know how it runs after I get it installed. Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's going in a back halved '69 Camaro.

Made of money? No, but I learned my lesson on piecing together an engine with a variety of parts and trying to save money only for it to grenade at the track. If I would have ponyed up the dough in the first place, I would have money for all the sheet metal I need for my '69 Chevelle.

·
Premium Member
3,536 Posts
Made of money? No, but I learned my lesson on piecing together an engine with a variety of parts and trying to save money only for it to grenade at the track.
I am heeding that same sentiment, in that I have either sold off, or in the process of selling off, parts that are not of the highest quality.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I built my 540 for 8K. Block and rotating assy from Ohio Crank for $3400. Best parts, 4340 crank and H beam rods, etc. Brodix 2X heads complete with intake, all bolts, gaskets, v-covers, etc - $2300. Could've built it for under 7K but went with Comp Cams roller (660 lift, 254 duration) , big oil pan, SFI damper, 1000 cfm carb, etc. Nice street engine with 9.5 comp. Only old part on the engine is a mini-starter I've had for 20 years! My car is a 69 Chevelle, TH400, 12 bolt 3.31 posi. Lotsa fun on the street

Gary

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
What would you want a 540 for?? Seriously, it is people like you that are wasting our gas supplies to jag around!

J/k!! Congrats and enjoy!

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
It's going in a back halved '69 Camaro.

Made of money? No, but I learned my lesson on piecing together an engine with a variety of parts and trying to save money only for it to grenade at the track. If I would have ponyed up the dough in the first place, I would have money for all the sheet metal I need for my '69 Chevelle.
I know. I just said that cuz most folks dont have $12k to drop on an engine.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Should have it in about a month. I went with Scott Shafiroff engines. It's the ultra street engine with a hydraulic roller camshaft putting out 685 HP. I'll let you know how it runs after I get it installed. Can't wait!
Jerk.....heehehehhee(no offense) shoulda pulled my money outta the stock market, woulda had a free 540.

I been drooling over those. Looks like a great deal for what you get. I might go with a 540 Shortblock and just gets some AFR heads. His prices seems very reasonable for what you get.

nice one....

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
I built a 505 for a69 camaro that ran a best of 10.70 @ 129 with a 308 gear on stock leaf springs with Caltracks. That was on pump gas and driving to the track 25 min. away. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. The car just gets putted around by his wife once in a while now. The car made 650 to 700 so yours outta fly.

·
Premium Member
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It's got 31X15 Hoosier Quick Time Pro's and 4.88's out back. We'll see if they hook up or not!
Currently running a 4 speed manual trans but I'll be putting in a Turbo 400 before it sees any track time.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.