Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a 1973 Chevy El Camino.I am in the process of restoring it but have hit a bit of a stump. I am having a problem with the wiring for the brake lights/turn signals on my car. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't, sometimes one does, then it will quit and the other one will work. There is power to everywhere that there is supposed to be power, whether the light is working or not. Short of completely re-wiring the whole thing, I am out of ideas, but am still learning. It has a new engine with about 40 miles on it, if that. It also has a new tranny with about 200 miles on it,new alternator, battery, and starter. Everything in my car, mechanically runs perfect and does exactly what it is supposed to. The alt.charges and puts out power to where it needs to go, and there is power to everywhere that it is supposed to be. I cannot find any shorts in the wiring, nor is
there any loose connections, and all of the wiring is grounded. This is the first problem I have had with the wiring since I bought the car about 3 1/2 years ago, and most of it looks as though it is the original wiring from the factory, the guy who own it before me wasn't exactly a car buff, which I am guessing contributed to these problems and to the rust that has accumulated on the car, and in some places worn small holes in the floor.
I cannot find any major rust spots near the connections for the wiring and lights, but a couple of them were not well protected, could this be a possible factor in the problems? I am still learning, so there may be something I am missing,Any help would be really appreciated. Thanx - Tania
*EDIT*

[This message has been edited by John_Muha (edited 11-22-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Tania (edited 11-23-2002).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I'd really take a good look at the rear sockets. A dirty socket will give an intermittent ground and do the sometimes on sometime off problem you are seeing.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Second what John said. Then if that doesn't help, try to determine if it is related to the turn signal switch. Both the brake and turn signal power goes through that switch and if it acts up then neither will work right.

Peter

1 - 3 of 3 Posts