Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother in-law has a 70 SS454 #'s matching 4spd m22 Chevelle sitting outside. I think he may finally sell me the car. It is fairly solid still but needs welding and restoration. He still has the window sticker and the build sheet. The problem is that the car was stolen once and recovered and the cowl tag was stolen. Is this car a good investment? I can give more info later if I hear from anyone.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
Hard to say without more pictures--how long has it been sitting in the weeds?Floor and frame could be rotten-but anything is repairable--must be a LS5 with the air cleaner sticker reading 360 horsepower-nice project-good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
investment? (shudders)

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
great project, but not for a novice, if you can do everything yourself ? great, offer him 10K. If you have to get it all done by someone else ? don't do it, it'll probably owe you alot more than it's worth when finished.
Dave

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
Depending on how much rust it has, it would normally be worth restoring. The documentation will add value to the car. The cowl tag can be reproduced and the fact that he has the build sheet and window sticker will validate what's on the reproduction cowl tag. It's worth restoring if you guys like Chevelles, not for the money. When completed, you will be lucky if the current value equals the cost to restore it. Personally, if it's not too far gone, I would restore it.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I crawled under it today and looked around. The floor has been heavily undercoated and surprisingly good. It has a soft area about where the driver would put his feet, about 6X6 in. The fenders and doors are still sound. The quarters need some welding but the wheel houses are good. The block, heads, carb, distributor are original. The m22 has been changed but it still has a rock crusher in it. I found this car for him back in 92. It had 69k actual miles and wasn't running. I had the engine rebuilt and I installed it. I drove the car quite often back then. It is a bench seat 4speed car w/o power steering. The interior is dark green and smells like an old junk yard car. I can do all the work and painting...:confused: He wants 15K

·
Registered
3,763 Posts
In today's world, even though the car has been torchured outdoors, it's worth 12 k in my humble opinion. If it was an LS-6, then triple that.

You have to add up your costs to restore, which would be over 30k, doing a lot yourself. Your call.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I was invited to chevelles.com from a member that I met at chevy talk. He said you guys would help me out and he was right. Chevy talk was of no help at all. The car has a sentimental value to me and I am sure that I could be driving this car after a few hours of work.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep,
no power steering. Infact when he bought it it didn't even have a tach. It had the round holed dash with a big gas guage if I remember right. The story we got with the car was that a gal went into a chevy dealership back in 1970with her teenage sons to buy a car that could pull a trailer and she ended up with the chevelle LS5.

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Not trying to offend but didnt you ask the exact same question about this car last week too?:confused:

·
Gold Founding Member
5,841 Posts
power steering was standard on ss unless it was deleted, get a copy of the paperwork and ask somone here to have look at it.
dave
I dont think so, power steering was an option. Power brakes were required.
Ron

1 - 20 of 25 Posts