Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone out there can either help me find this part or point me toward someone who can.

I don't believe this item is reproduced yet but if someone has a Year One catalog could you check there for me? No other catalog has the part and I loaned out my YO catalog and haven't gotten it back yet.

----------------------

The part is the nylon bearing cup found at the end of the steering column tube for a 4-speed car. Below you can find a couple of links to a photo of the part out of the column and a photo of the diagram of the steering column showing where the part belongs for clarity.
-----------------------

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! I don't know if this part is unique to 1965 or not.

bearing cup

steering column diagram

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
YesterYears Chevys #52949
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

·
Registered
114 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Nice picture, too bad the group number isn't there. I have an old GM parts book but it doesn't have an exploded illustration of your column, everything around it, but not yours! Best I could make of it was in the 6.521 group, p/n 383873 adapter and fits 64-66 Chevelle without tilt. Don't know if that's still a good number or if the part is still available.

------------------
Never be afraid to try something new.
An amatuer built the Ark,
Professionals built the Titanic.
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

·
Premium Member
19,751 Posts
I agree with Tom. My GM P&A book shows it as 6.521 group, 383873, 64-66 Chevelle (exc. T.W.) ADAPTER, str. shaft (plastic). I checked with partsvoice.com and gmpartsdirect.com and came up empty although gmpartsdirect will do a more extensive search if you click the "Can't find a part?" link after it comes up with no parts found.

------------------
Dale McIntosh
TC Gold #92/ACES #1709
67SS & 67 Elky
Dale's Place
Team 67
Integrity: If you have it, it doesn't matter - If you don't have it, it doesn't matter.

·
Super Moderator
16,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brob:
1964 Automatic trans uses the same part.. I could use the bearing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brob: I have 3 or 4 of the bearings. They probably need to be cleaned up and re-greased but are otherwise good to go. The one in my column is a 36 year old part that I refurbished, so old parts can be used. I seem to recall seeing them for sale new somewhere but I can't find it now.

Anyway, e-mail me and I'll scrounge up a bearing for you.

------------------
NCOA member #220
ACES member #1670
Team Chevelle #998
YesterYears Chevys #52949
Rich's 1965 Malibu SS Restoration Project Progress Page
1:18 scale diecast car Detailing by Scooter

·
Super Moderator
16,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by L89SEDAN:
Call,,,,1-704-434-6759 They will have it

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They are closed on Mondays but I'll let you know what I find out when they call me back tomorrow (I left a message).

Thanks!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Rich, Call this number and ask for Gary. They do a lot of column work. 214 948-1831

------------------
Tim Knierim

·
Super Moderator
16,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Red 64SS ragtop:
I belive that I have one at home if you will e-mail your phone # I will call you tonight and let you know for sure.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've got mail!

·
Super Moderator
16,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rpol7966:
Rich, Call this number and ask for Gary. They do a lot of column work. 214 948-1831

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I spoke to Gary (nice guy) but he could not help me out. He did tell me that just about any GM car from 64-66 will have a similar or exact same part.

·
Premium Member
1,955 Posts
Rich, Since Gary mentioned pretty much any 64-66 car I thought I'd check the spare non tilt, full size, 4 speed column I have hanging in the garage.

No sign of that 3-pronged snap ring affair that your Chevelle 4 speed diagram shows.

Dan

------------------
Awww, fer cyrin out loud, there's that IMPALA guy again.

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ss3964spd?d&.flabel=fld1&.src=ph

·
Super Moderator
16,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ss3964spd:
Rich, Since Gary mentioned pretty much any 64-66 car I thought I'd check the spare non tilt, full size, 4 speed column I have hanging in the garage.

No sign of that 3-pronged snap ring affair that your Chevelle 4 speed diagram shows.

Dan

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, all I know for sure it that 64/65 four-speed or PG-shift-on-the-floor Chevelle steering columns will have what I need. The big problem is that if the column is decent, few folks want to part them out. I've heard that '66 Chevelles used the same column set up but I don't know this from personal experience. I'm not sure why '67 would be excluded either.

[This message has been edited by Rich-L79 (edited 12-17-2001).]

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Rich,
Have you tried True Connections? They usually have the hard to find stuff.
(909) 688-6040

------------------
1965 Chevelle
Maroond

Maroon 65

·
Premium Member
17,401 Posts
Sorry, I could view the photos/diagrams, but I do recall the plastic bearing retainer being held by the wire (snap ring). I have taken a few at the wrecking yards from other cars, but I'm unsure if I have any that aren't broken.

As for the '67, they went to the larger column with the safety collapsable feature, probably why its a different part...

email me if you don't find one, and I will see if I can find one thats not broken...

------------------
"Once you go RAT, you never go back..."
TC #1366
Tony
1966 SS L78 coupe
1966 SS convertible
1965 Impala convertible
1 wife that has drawn the line...

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
You can get the bearing from Zip Corvette Products... As for the bearing cup I found mine on Ebay last year when I rebuilt my steering and replaced the signal switch. I don't have access to my Zips catalog, but they might even have the bearing cup also...

------------------
'65 Maliblue 406SBC/PG TC #811
'97 HD Softtail Springer
Sold my '94 1LE Camaro...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.