Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 67 chevelle(survivor) malibu.I bought it from a friend, who purchased it from the origonal owner.I have everything to convert the body over to an ss, (emblems,grill,hood,ect..) the car now has the stock 283 in it. I`m having a hard time finding a decent BB (396 prefferably) to rebuild.would you hold out for a BB?,build a 350?, or build the 283? I dont intend to race the car, or pass it off for an ss. I intend to keep it. very solid car! To be honest, I`m starting to get kinda pissed trying to find a good core.....Found plenty of 402`s.

------------------

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
If your gonna switch it over why not run down to your local GM Performance dealer and purchase a new H.O. 502 and stuff that in it? While you're at it, get yourself a 4L80e from one of the aftermarket guy's to go in back of it! Good Luck! Narti

·
Registered
313 Posts
Have to agree with Narti. After you find an old core, get parts and pay machine shop costs, how much of a difference would it be to go to a crate motor? Not much, I bet. If you don't want to go all out, you can get the 454HO long block for less than $4000, I believe. Or if you want to stay for something under $3K, you can go the small block HO350 route. I was tempted to go that way but am saving pennies for a HO502. When I am done, I want my clone to look like a 396/375HP. Like you this is going to be my keeper.
John Walker

·
Registered
42 Posts
396's are expensive to rebuild. I just finished mine and with just a basic rebuild, nothing fancy, I'm into it for over $3,000 counting what I paid for the core. However, it is an original 396 car so wanted to stick with it. Go with the small block, you get so much more for the same $$.
Harvey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.