Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello-

I'm dealing with what the prior owner did-and what and why he did it I will never know. I've got a white wire coming out from above the gas tank in my '70 El Camino. It's cut. The rest of the wire appears to go to the front of the car some where. The gas guage does not work.

I went to the trouble of purchasing a new sending unit although I'm not sure why. If this is the wire that goes to the sending unit then it may still be good. If not, and I connect it back up???

I need some guidance here if anyone can spare some. I don't want to attach wire wires, especially to the gas tank, that don't belong. It also sucks to have to fill your tank every other day!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Dan Latta

------------------
1970 El Camino
Student, Santa Monica College
http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ElCaminosandChevelles/lst
Santa Monica, CA
Current ground up restoration in progress: All parts brand new except rear end: GM 350 crate motor w/ Weiand dual plane intake & Holley 600 cfm carb, K&N exhaust. Doug Thorley Headers w/ Flowmaster pipe & exhaust. Rebuilt transmission from A1 w/ shift kit & 2500 stall converter, Hurst pro-matic II shifter, 15" Powder Coated Rally's , Chevelle SS steering wheel, combo oil/tranny cooler, ARP bolts everywhere.

Project almost done-at this point-wish I had the resources and space to do a frame off. Anyone take the frame off before in a standard size garage? Now that all the new parts are in except radiator, it wouldn't be all that to tear down again. Hmm….

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If the gas gage is working it should read past full with the sender wire off. If that is the sender wire normal color is tan. It may have faded. If you strip the insulation off a little, ground that wire with the key on, the gage should go to empty.
All that's working out:
Get a sender connector from the junkyard and VERY VERY carefully solder it to the wire. Stay away from that tank and do it in a well vented area.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts