Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old set of Flowmaster mufflers on my car that I bought over 20 years ago, before they had fancy names for them. Mine are 2 chamber, offset inlet and outlet. I've never cared for the sound of them, but at the time I bought them, they were the only ones to advertise that they could handle over 400 hp. Now I care less about ultimate power, but am interested in less noise. Overall, I like the sound of Magnaflows. I currently have 2.5" in and out. I think I can fit around a 24" case. What fits our cars?

Thanks

Devin

·
Premium Member
16,017 Posts
the #12578 3" / 22" case just fits our cars. 2.5" offset/offset is #12577 I believe. I've had mine for near twenty years; they are beginning to show rust at the seams finally.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Two months ago I put a pair of Magnaflow 11266 mufflers on my '65 El Camino (525 HP). The overall length is 24" and the body is 18". They are 2.5", offset/offset. They are mellow and sound great and I recommend them.

·
Premium Member
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Two months ago I put a pair of Magnaflow 11266 mufflers on my '65 El Camino (525 HP). The overall length is 24" and the body is 18". They are 2.5", offset/offset. They are mellow and sound great and I recommend them.
View attachment 695892
Thank you. I take it yours is a 65 so the fitment would be the same on my 64.

Devin

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
My choices are either dynomax ultraflow or Borla XR-1. I wrestled with this idea for a while recently and opted for the Borla's. My goal is free flowing exhaust which I can drive on the street and not sacrifice even 1 hp or 1 lbft of torque so I opted for the 3" Borla 40944 for use on my 500 incher. I run the 4" Borla's with my 4" exhaust on my 565 and kind of know what to expect and the Borla's are lighter than the dynomax. They also make them in 2.5" if that's your need.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I like Borla XS mufflers, a lot quieter than XR1. I recently replaced my Super Turbo with Borla XS. Straight trough design, deep rumble gets louder as you step on it. Just like Dynomax Super turbo but a lot nicer sound. I haven't finished the tailpipe so they are dumped at rear axle for now. No drone whatsoever.

·
Registered
87 Posts
They will be the exact same fitment. They are really nice and don't have the "boy racer" sound that the old worn out Flowmasters had. :)

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
I like the Dynomax Super Turbo #17749.. They sound great especially after a few thousand miles.. At first they are very quiet but they sound off after awhile but its a pleasant tone, like a big Chris Craft cabin cruiser.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts