Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am a 16 year old male completly in love with chevelles. the real muscle car. i am goin to buy a 70. i was wondering i don't like vinyle tope can u easily change that or what. also how hard and expensive would it be to change from a auto to a m22. can a ls-5 be rebuilt into a ls-6 resonably easy. my father has an old ford with some real power and i want that. thanks for all ur help

·
Registered
3,545 Posts
Easy as can be:
Open wallet often and wide.
Replenish wallet as quickly as possible.
Buy tools and parts and farm out work you cannot, or do not want to do.
Buy books on auto repair and restoration.
Apply book knowlege with hands on application to your '70 Chevelle.

You can make your car into anything your imagination and wallet will allow. Trans swaps been done since these cars were new. More power, c'mon now - that's practically a daily rite of passage on this forum.

Take yourself out of that dark room with all the other mushrooms, pick one area of the car to work on at a time, move onto another area upon completion of last "mini" project. Pretty soon, that huge project of automotive restoration & rodification will be complete.

Seriously, after getting your Chevelle, tell us the current state of your wallet and your first chosen project and Team Chevelle will help with words of encouragement and knowlege.

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
*New* 468 on its way - going Big Block!

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
My personal opinion, based on my own experience 20 years ago as a 16-yr-old with a 71 Chevy Nova, is to start small. Buy the best car you can afford and drive it as-is for a while. Learn to tune it up, do brake jobs, and other basic maintenance. Then advance to more difficult jobs, like suspension rebuilds and such. Then start with small modifications...add headers, add a 4 barrel, a shift kit, etc. This way, you will eventually have all of the skills to tackle the types of major restoration and modification that you are talking about. Most of all, be realistic about your budget. I find that I get frustrated if I go many months with my car in a dis-assembled condition where I can't drive it. You will enjoy the car more if you attack your projects in a piece-meal fashion such that you can enjoy DRIVING the car as well as working on it. Just my opinion.

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.