Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a budget 454 - I am looking at a 1979 454 shortblock. I have a set of 049 heads that I plan to add bigger valves to. My intake will probably have to be a RPM Air-Gap, and I am still looking for a cam and carb. The car has a 4 speed with 3.36 rear gears. I would like the cam to make decent power but be driveable. Everytime I find a thread about a cam the next one says that same cam is terrible.

I come to you guys because you are 454 experts. Please help me. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
I am building a budget 454 - I am looking at a 1979 454 shortblock. I have a set of 049 heads that I plan to add bigger valves to. My intake will probably have to be a RPM Air-Gap, and I am still looking for a cam and carb. The car has a 4 speed with 3.36 rear gears. I would like the cam to make decent power but be driveable. Everytime I find a thread about a cam the next one says that same cam is terrible.

I come to you guys because you are 454 experts. Please help me. :thumbsup:
welcome to the site
are you looking for a roller or flat tappet cam??
>:)

·
Premium Member
28,654 Posts
Everytime I find a thread about a cam the next one says that same cam is terrible
You won't find anyone bashing the Ultradyne 280/288 hydraulic flat tappet 223/[email protected] .525/.550 112 LSA
With one 454 combo it made 490 HP and 530 ft/lbs. of torque on pump gas and it also ran low's 12's in my mild 454 w/3.31 gear.
Excellent street cam and works well at the strip if you decide to go that route.
Lunati offers it under their street cam series.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Time for a wise guy............ A Newton Cam or Cam Newton--:wink2:
Bob

·
Registered
5,422 Posts
mr 4 speed hit it out of the park.
I was going to say [email protected] on a 110 or something near that.
I feel if you are down on compression then closing the intake valve earlier really helps things out.
So instead of 110 go 106.. that is if you can sacrifice some MPG.

But as we know some cams already close them early even on a 112.

Realize the larger valves may be much heavier and When i installed a [email protected] .050 in a 396 I used comp springs with 121 seat pressure on the 2.19-1.88 valves.. it was not enough seat pressure.
Valve float earlier than it should.. 6500-6700 rpm it floats valves.. when all is right that should pull quick to 7000

So watch everything in the build and get good lifters..

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I'm in a similar situation as the OP w/ a 454... I'm just taking info provided and wondering.

From the link in post 8" "Excellent cam for high performance street applications. Works well in 396-454 c.i. motors. Needs 2400 RPM stall converter, headers, 9.5:1 compression ratio and 3.73 gearing. Vacuum canister may be needed to operate power brakes. Lopey idle."

Compression wasn't mentioned by the OP. The 049 heads are open w/ a big chamber. I wonder what pistons he/she has.
Rear gear doesn't quite match.
Not much vacuum so I wonder how streetable this cam is.

I'd probably start w/ what the cam maker recommends.
For carb, I'd think 750 on the small side and 850 to make the 454 happier.

·
Premium Member
28,654 Posts
The 280/288 pulls plenty of vacuum,probably 15+ inches at idle like it fell out of a tree.Worked great with 3.31 gears. Idle is fairly smooth when fully warmed up,sounds mild.
A Holley 750 cfm vacuum secondary (3310) will work great as will a 750 cfm double pumper (4779)
The 3310 is about $309 so that gets my vote :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
28,654 Posts
From the link in post 8" "Excellent cam for high performance street applications. Works well in 396-454 c.i. motors. Needs 2400 RPM stall converter, headers, 9.5:1 compression ratio and 3.73 gearing. Vacuum canister may be needed to operate power brakes. Lopey idle."

Compression wasn't mentioned by the OP. The 049 heads are open w/ a big chamber. I wonder what pistons he/she has.
Rear gear doesn't quite match.
Not much vacuum so I wonder how streetable this cam is.
see my post. Also,this cam is plenty streetable..look at the .050 duration and the LSA..223/[email protected] and 112 LSA..that indicates plenty of vacuum and streetability.
You don't need 3.73 gears with this cam. It worked perfect with 3.31 gear. I also ran this cam with 2.56 gears as well,even banged out a 12.99 at the track with them.
Based on the 10+ years I have used this cam I would strongly disagree with Lunati's description. About the only thing correct is the 2400 rpm stall convertor recommendation. Headers are a plus but not necessary.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I personally Don't think a 950 is ever to big on a 454 , smaller and more responsive on a mild - moderate small (454) bbc than an 850 ....

Aed , Holley , qf , pro systems if u don't mind a little extra $$ ..

·
Registered
786 Posts
You won't find anyone bashing the Ultradyne 280/288 hydraulic flat tappet 223/[email protected] .525/.550 112 LSA
With one 454 combo it made 490 HP and 530 ft/lbs. of torque on pump gas and it also ran low's 12's in my mild 454 w/3.31 gear.
Excellent street cam and works well at the strip if you decide to go that route.
Lunati offers it under their street cam series.

Do you think this cam would work well in a stock 454 with lower compression? I'm guessing 8.5:1 ?

·
Registered
786 Posts
absolutely! I have used 238/[email protected] .540/.540 114 LSA in a 9 to 1 454
Thanks! So what would be the noticeable difference when comparing to my current cam? It's a comp cam thumper

50 227 int./241 exh, lift 0.498 int./0.483 exh.

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
A Thumper Cam is like a belligerent and cranky mother-in-law. You won't miss it when it's gone. Guaranteed.

·
Registered
786 Posts
A Thumper Cam is like a belligerent and cranky mother-in-law. You won't miss it when it's gone. Guaranteed.
Good analogy for the holiday season. Mine went home a few days ago :laugh:

Odd summit doesn't do a cam and lifter kit with the Lunatis. Not to hijack the OP thread here, so what lifters do you recommend for him?:smile2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts