Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just swapped my sweep dash for a round dial gauge dash in my 72 Velle. Last thing to do is the thing that I thought would be the easiest, replace the two spade idiot light temp sensor with a single post sensor with threads and a nut to match up with with my single wire on my new harness. The assembly manual shows it as big as day but all the parts counters, including Chevrolet's, only has one with a button on it and a connector. They don't even show the correct one. Anyone know where I can get the right one?

-------------------------------

Sometimes the best laid plans don't always include getting laid!

·
Super Moderator
13,013 Posts
Jeffry,
This site's sponsor, Ground Up, has the correct sender in thier catalog.
By the way, as far as I know, all the temp gauge, and light senders, were a single wire. I think the dual terminal senders were for the TCS (transmission controlled spark) solonoid. The TCS sender, if equipped is on the passenger side, gauge sender on the drivers side.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

[This message has been edited by BillK (edited 09-11-2000).]

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Bill is absolutely correct.

You've been searching for the wrong part.

The driver's side of the block contains the temp sender for the guage/lite depending on the set-up. The passenger side sender is the 2 prong set-up, this is ONLY for the T.C.S. system (transmission controlled spark). Don't mess with this one.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys. I was wondering about the one shown in the assembly manual on the passenger side. The one I am interested in is on the drivers side between cylinders 1 and 3. The temp sensor for the idiot light is a 2 spade connector and the gauge sensor is a 1 wire loop connector that is held on with a nut. Thanks for the direction, I'll get a hold of Ground Up.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,813 Posts
Both the idiot light and gauge temperature sensors have one wire connections but they have different type ends, one looks like a nail head and the other is a spade connector

You can buy them at any parts house.

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
Mid America Chevelle Club #001
chevelles.net
My 69

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Now I'm confused. The 72 idiot light temp sender (left side)has 2 terminals on it. This makes up part of the overall TCS system, along with running the idiot light. The TCS relay located on the right side of the intake manifold is another part of the system. The two terminal senders are not common stock at the local parts house. The TCS relay is definitely not stocked. Drilled mine out to get vacuum advance after it died.
I think that is what you are saying.
John

·
Gold Founding Member
63,813 Posts
Sorry for the confusion, I didn't mean to be misleading (if I was)

My 69 and 70 are both as I mentioned above but neither have the TCS so I have never had a two terminal temp sender or any experience with the TCS system

I have seen the two terminal unit on the passenger's side of some cars but didn't realize the drivers' side also was a two terminal unit.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Okay, here's the scoop.

GM was going to use the 2 blade terminal sending unit found on the passenger side for both the TCS cold sensor and The idiot light HOT sensor. That's why there's 2 terminals. However,they ended up not doing it!

The driver's side of the block contains the single independent temp sensor to run the guage or lite depending on your set-up.

You'll find that the TCS/Hot sensor's terminals are shorted together via the green wires!!

This is how it is for 1970. This may have changed by '72 though.

This was just one of the many things I was going to cover:

http://home.netcom.com/radiojoe/working.html

Joe

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 09-12-2000).]

·
Registered
485 Posts
I just put a new temp sensor in my 1970 396 w/ gauges. I found won at teh local Orielly's Auto parts. If your doing a conversion from a blade style connector, the nail post connector usually comes with a new plastic cover that snaps onto the nail head. You'll just need to insert the temp wire.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks again everyone for your time. The more I learn about this I am realizing that each year must be slightly different with 72 changing mid year as well. For anyone who cares the FYI is, the TCS is a seperate sensor that threads in between the 6 and 8 cylinder on the passenger side and has one spade connector. The temp sensor for the idiot light is a two spade connector that threads in between the 1 and 3 cylinder on the drivers side and has a two spade connector, (and yes, two wires). Now the gauge dash started out the year with one wire with a loop connector on it that slips on to a threaded post on the temp sensor and is held on with a nut and washer, (what I need). Somewhere mid year they switched to a sensor with a button on it and a plastic connector which I was trying to avoid having to cut my new engine wiring harness. It threads into the same place the idiot light sensor does. Mine is a 350 but the big blocks appear to be the same with exception of where they screw into the head. Maybe this will help anybody faced with this same situation. BillK was right, Ground Up has them and is the only place I have found them so far.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 69. Put a gauge dash and bought new wiring. The original oil sending unit had a threded post as did the new wiring. The only sending unit availible from GM was a spade type. Called the wiring manufacture which was M+H Fabrication and they said send the harness back and they would put the new factory type spade plug on for no charge. I found that better than cutting it off and crimping on a cheap looking connecter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts