Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't really been looking and don't really know what is out there. Should I go digial or dvr? I am pretty computer savy so that is not an issue if I need to burn dvds off a digital. I also take vids with my digital camera of the cars and like to post them on the web. The qualitly of the vids with the regular camera is not great and you only get 30 sec. I guess I am looking for advice on what sort of camera to get. I'm not looking to spend more than $600-700.

·
Registered
302 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
This is the one thatI have . I think its 1 or 2 years old and they dont make this exact model any more . I love mine it works awesome and is very easy to use .Check out this auction it is the same as what i have. When I bought mine new it was $499.00 this one one ebay sounds like a real good
No problems with low light video? I am looking to buy one as well, was going to go w/ a hard drive one but have heard some negative things. Seems like the mini -disc ones are the way for now, until everything is Hi-Def.
Have you had any problems?

·
Registered
302 Posts
No problems with low light video? I am looking to buy one as well, was going to go w/ a hard drive one but have heard some negative things. Seems like the mini -disc ones are the way for now, until everything is Hi-Def.
No problems with mine . It has an easy button that takes care of all your settings and adjustments. I like the small disks also you just finalize it in the camcorder and pop it in a dvd player and watch . It even plays on my truck dvd player. The video quality is excellant. :hurray: :beers: :thumbsup: :cool:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I have a Canon DV100 DVD camcorder,works great,records straight to mini dvd's,then pop in you dvd player and plays right in the dvd player.

·
Premium Member
2,719 Posts
Mike, what negative things have you heard about the hard drive camcorders? I was thinking of buying one this spring, and was leaning to a hard drive, but Im open to look at others. I guess I really didnt consider the mini dvd ones.

·
Premium Member
4,994 Posts
We've got a hard drive Camera. I like it. It is small, it uses no media so you are not buying tapes or discs. It comes with free video editing software. It holds a bunch of video (something like 30 hours). It is in your price range.

You can record with and DVR, or download clips to computer, edit and make videos. If you are computer techy, this is probably an attractive feature. One of the minor challenges we've had is converting the format the camera uses to something I can view, open and edit with Quicktime and iMovie. But there is freeware and shareware to do this.

We've had ours a year and still haven't downloaded anything, it holds so much video (and that's with a brand new baby -- so lots of video). After watch others struggle with swapping discs and spending money on discs, I would go this route again. It is also very small. The camera case is not much bigger than the camera case of our digital still camera.

·
Registered
9,047 Posts
On the mini DVD how easy is it to edit? Seems like the hard drive would be easier to edit. I was leaning in that direction also.

LK

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My wife wants to take vids and put them on DVD to sent to her family of the rug rats so I guess it would be one less step to use the hardrive camera. No copying so we can keep one copy for ourselves.

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
Mike, what negative things have you heard about the hard drive camcorders? I was thinking of buying one this spring, and was leaning to a hard drive, but Im open to look at others. I guess I really didnt consider the mini dvd ones.
Just that they were having low light (how often do you video in low light anyway?) issues and the quality was not there in the video recording, poor video quality. I still like the idea of no media w/ the hard drive, since I have a dvd/vcr burner/player combo I was hoping to just plug the camera into it and burn directly to a dvd. The mini-disc have had better reviews from what I understand. See what anyone else has to say before I purchase one...

My wife wants to take vids and put them on DVD to sent to her family of the rug rats so I guess it would be one less step to use the hardrive camera. No copying so we can keep one copy for ourselves.
That is what I am talking about, no mini - discs, tape, etc...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts