Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the application that will get me the right CS alternator? I tried a '90 Chevy truck and got the one with the wrong mounting ears. I need the 180 degree opposite ears. My neighbors '85 Suburban has the right one but that is not the 105 amp CS alternator. Thanks.........Ward

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
James the guy told me the '85 was only 65 amps. Maybe those were still the SI? I can see that this is a deal where I need to be at the store. Tomorrow I'll go down and find the right one and post it to Team Chevelle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I already read that stuff. A very good article by the way Wes! That's how I know that I need the one with opposing mounting ears and the reason I ordered a '90 Chevy truck one. No worries I will find the part number out tomorrow and post it here and offer it to Wes if he wants to add it to his article. Thanks...........Ward

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Yep, You're right, that would be an SI.

But maybe this will help! I realized my old alternator is in the box the CS came in. I got it from Advance Auto parts, it was a rebuilt one, the brand on the box is "Quality Proven", the part number is P7801-3. Maybe you can find a cross over reference at a local store.

------------------
Elcaminos are special!
I'd rather walk around with a Chevrolet hubcap in my hand than drive a Ford

work in progress
Big James Elky(AKA Ol Paint)
www.chevelles.com/showroom/workgoeson1.jpg
www.chevelles.com/showroom/newpaint1.jpg

·
Registered
423 Posts
Thanks for the comments on the alternator page! (in spite of it not giving a part number) Out of all the tecrefs I've written, I think that one gets used the most!!!!!

The problem of part numbers for that alternator has ALWAYS been a thorn in my side. Part of the problem with it is due to the area covered by the net. Heck, I get people reading the techref stuff from Sweden and I'd hate to give a misleading number. Then the hate mail comes in.

Maybe the thing to do is give an "industry" part number and post a big disclaimer that the person should only purchase it where he (or she) can visually check it out before purchase.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Greetings from the back room of O'Reilly's Auto Parts I have been searching for the Alternator Holy Grail. After 3 trips back I have the proper alternator. Wes you're right about it being from a '89-'95 Chevy Truck. The key is it is from a SUBURBAN from those years. The part number I got is 01-0342 for the 105 amp HD. The regular pick up truck is 01-0344 and does not have the ears 180 degrees opposite each other. The big clue I missed was my neighbors '85 Suburban had the right style alternator but it was an SI 85 amp. I did not think to run the later Suburban part number. Instead I went through shelves of alternators until I found the right one. As an aside the ears not only need to be opposite each other they need to be 6.5" on center. GM used 6" and 7" on center ones that will not fit. Anyway that is the deal feel free to use any of this in your article Wes. James I will go to the O'Reilly's and check that part number and see what it crosses to. Thanks to all that helped or cheered on this one................Ward

1 - 8 of 8 Posts