Team Chevelle banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I've been trying to restore my 70 chevelle for a couple of years now. between work, deployments and those who i once called friends i've learned it takes a lot more time and $ than expected. either way i'm stoked that i have my project and welcome every obstacle it brings. so far i've done everything with no corners cut. it's coming close to paint time and i've been on the fence with all kind of ideas.
i know we all have our own style and most like to keep it safe with an original look. i love the original look however i'm stuck between doing that or going off the grid with something extreme yet tasteful. my car is an original ss car non matching numbers though. (found the build sheet in the rear seats when we started taking it down!) talk about a sweet find...anyway since it isn't matching numbers i have went with doing the things i like such as wilwood discs all around, oversize foose wheels 18'' on rear 17'' on front, and hotchkis tvs suspension front and back. i was thinking of going with a dark charcoal gray-almost a black charcoal with carbon fiber ss stripes? that is the extreme end. kind of hard for some to picture but might look awesome if done right.
then i was thinking of going with a metallic black with ghost ss stripes, or maybe a deep maroonish red with metallic black ss stripes. i went from black to reds, blue to blackberry....wish i had four or five cars so i can have all the ideas i have. anyone willing to give an opinion? what would you do to your 70 ss if you could start from scratch? all ideas and opinions welcome. the more the better! thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Greetings from Arizona
Thank you for your service...did my time in 69...medic Vietnam.
All 4 sound like nice paint combos, I painted my 69 Camaro white with red stripes, with red interior. Not SS, and not totally correct stripes. I like cars with ghost stripes. I like white cars due to living in Arizona and our HOT temps, the paint seems to hold up better. and stays cleaner. My 66 Lemans that I'm trying to sell is a Honda red, clean it and drive to a show and its dusty already. Jay

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply Jay. i love white on cars to, makes them look nice and clean. i have a 09' charger that's white. living in san antonio puts me in the same boat with heat in the summers. it's a pleasure to serve sir, and thank you for your time as well.

·
Premium Member
19,756 Posts
While restored cars are nice and great for the hobby, without the original driveline you're pretty much free to build it your way, IMO. Upgrading brakes and suspension is a great way to increase the driving experience. Paint is always subjective to the user and ghost stripes or even stripes ending in flame licks at the end look good I think. FWIW, the D88 stripe option was not unique to SS optioned 1970 Chevelles, any Malibu sport coupe, convertible, or pickup could order them as well and a surprising number did.

Eighteen-inch wheels are about the limit on wheel sizes for classic Chevelles. If it's going to be a real driver, don't get too short of a sidewall. For a show car the 'rubber band' sidewall height may look good on the showfield but may be a handling issue in the long run.

I have quite a collection of images of build sheets I use for reference, if you have a good photo or scan of yours it'd be appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,330 Posts
a nice way to see if you are going to like a color scheme is to get a plastic model kit and build it and paint it the color you are thinking of. if you like it in 1/24 you should like it in real life

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a great idea Keith. thanks i think i will do that. Dale, that's very true about the side walls. i have a 45 series side wall on my tires. which isn't a whole lot compared to most but not thin rubber bands either. i am not a big fan of thin rubber between the road and my wheels. gives a rough ride and looks odd on just about any car if you ask me. just my opinion though :) thanks all who replied. great ideas come from experienced folks like you all.

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Hey----don't you also have an ElCamino?????
I thought you had when you first signed up here.

Anyway, if you do, there is going to be an ElCamino Get Together meet
in Belton this coming May 14

Welcome to hook up with us if you like-----gonna be a few SanAntonio guys show up

·
Premium Member
328 Posts
Hi all, I've been trying to restore my 70 chevelle for a couple of years now. i was thinking of going with a dark charcoal gray-almost a black charcoal with carbon fiber ss stripes? that is the extreme end. kind of hard for some to picture but might look awesome if done right.
then i was thinking of going with a metallic black with ghost ss stripes, or maybe a deep maroonish red with metallic black ss stripes. i went from black to reds, blue to blackberry....wish i had four or five cars so i can have all the ideas i have. anyone willing to give an opinion? what would you do to your 70 ss if you could start from scratch? all ideas and opinions welcome. the more the better! thanks in advance.
And I thought I was having a hard time just trying to decide if I was going to put the original color (Cranberry Red) back on my car or not. There are so many Cranberry Red cars out there that I feel like my car is going to get lost in the crowd. I wonder what the rarest color combo is on a 70 Velle? Well anyway, I really like your idea of carbon fiber SS stripes. That should look very cool.
Gary

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey----don't you also have an ElCamino?????
I thought you had when you first signed up here.

Anyway, if you do, there is going to be an ElCamino Get Together meet
in Belton this coming May 14

Welcome to hook up with us if you like-----gonna be a few SanAntonio guys show up
thanks for the invite Bryan. I don't have a ElCamino though.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I like the charcoal with carbon fibre stripes, in original proportions... I think it will have a subtle look. If you put the stripes on after and not clear coat them, you can always pull them off later and change it out... There is nice carbon fibre decaling out there now, I might wrap my 67SS hood in carbon fibre for a different look...just for fun! and run 17" steel rims and dogdishes....

ak

1 - 10 of 10 Posts